iphone 5 battery replacement advice...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joeynym, Feb 16, 2014.

1. joeynym macrumors member

I replaced my wives iPhone 5 w/ iphone 5s since she had the 20% to dead battery issues and it was out of warranty and apple is asking $80 for replacement... considering giving the phone to my nephew...

I have seen the youtube video on changing the battery it look fairly easy and i am mechanically inclined...

my question is should i buy one of those ebay battery replacement kits that range from $6.99-$30 USD or have apple replace it???

any recommendations on the aftermarket replacement batteries???

2. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Personally I would go with the Apple replacement just for peace of mind and the 90 day warranty I believe the battery replacement comes with.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

This is honestly one of those things only you can answer. Are you comfortable taking electronics apart? I don't mean to be a semantics nazi, but mechanics and electronics are very different. perhaps you meant the same thing. But when you say mechanics, do you mean cars or even car stereos? because they are different (enough) beasts that you can seriously botch a battery replacement yourself.

4. joeynym thread starter macrumors member

i am very comfortable with changing it on my own... its just the battery product i am worried about... I wish it was a Samaung galaxy phone :(

----------

good point i have to look into that...

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Loads of "fix it" shops change batteries every day. If you are comfortable doing it, they use the same "cheap Chinese" products that everyone outside of Apple does. I wouldn't worry about it.

6. joeynym thread starter macrumors member

gotcha thanks... didn't think of that!!

7. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

I would advise against changing the battery yourself. Several users on this forum have tried it themselves and failed. If you are super confident about it, then perhaps you can give it a shot.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

iFixit has specialized tools if you don't already have something (and teardown guides).

And if you haven't already done it, as the other poster mentioned there are a few horror stories on this site and it would be a good use of time to see specifically where they failed. The most common seems to be breaking a ribbon cable removing the screen. One person's screen came apart during removal and another damaged the phone trying to pry the battery out. But a lot of folks do it successfully. Good luck!

9. joeynym thread starter macrumors member

thanks!!!!

I have worked on electronics in the past, i don't do well with solder & glue stuff, but i have no problems with plug & play...

I am just worried about the quality of the battery...
    But thanks everyone for the advice...

10. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

Agree with this. While I have faith in my ability to do the physical replacement of the battery, I'm not sure that I want to be messing with batteries that aren't guaranteed to be sourced from a genuine Apple supplier.

11. joeynym thread starter macrumors member

:apple: true!

12. BeeJee macrumors 6502

The battery is easily replaced, I am about to change out the whole housing on my phone. Little more complicated, but I'm not trained and have had no problems fixing phones myself. Unless you are very scared to swap a battery I would buy an OEM battery for 8 dollars.

13. Azzin macrumors 68040

I recently had the battery replaced in my launch day i5 in my local Apple store, for exactly the same reason.

They initially asked for £50 to replace it, but I politely pointed out that it was unreasonable for the battery of a £629 premium mobile phone to only have lasted 16 months.

The chap went and got his manager who agreed and they carried out the battery replacement for free.