iPhone 5 Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dextr3k, Jan 20, 2014.

1. dextr3k macrumors 6502

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share, my iphone 5, purchased november 2012, was getting some really unacceptable battery quirks. I can accept fate, if I was only getting 2 hours of usage out of the battery. However, I cannot accept that after 40%, I was getting erratic readings, so when I 'thought' I still had 25% left, the phone dies, causing some unfortunate missed calls.

So I took it to the apple store and they did a quick diagnosis, and my battery was in the red section, I don't know health or anything, but it was red, and red means bad. They wanted to charge me ¥588 RMB, which converts to about $98 USD.

I took it home and ordered online a new battery (says oem, but who knows, it's china), came with free shipping and tools (awesome) for ¥98 RMB, which is $16 USD. And did the swap myself. Do NOT follow ifixit's guide, as it has you taking out the screen. You can just prop it up with your finger and keep the screen connected. Only difficulty was trying to remove the old battery, I ended up pulling the entire plastic tab off and it was still on. Used a blowdryer to heat the phone up and battery came off.

Now I am experiencing very good performance, currently at 3hours usage, 16 hours standby, and battery is reading 47%.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You probably could have just complained a crap ton about how the battery should last longer than this, especially since you're only like 2 months out of warranty.

Anyways that price sounds about right.

3. dextr3k thread starter macrumors 6502

I am currently living in China. So apart from trying to complain in Chinese, they receive a TON of shady complaints everyday from shady chinese people trying to game the system.

So they do everything by the book. He told me I was 64 days out of warranty. and left.