iPhone 5 - battery replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Krzysztof, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Krzysztof macrumors newbie

Hello,
    last days i observed a very annoying issue with my phone. My iPhone 5 battery started turning off at 20-30% battery. Well, I tried not to get into this and live with it, but my phone now says it has now battery power at 40 and even 50%! Well, obviously it shouldn't be ike that, so I have a question. Since I bought my phone over 1,5 years ago through a carrer, I have no chance for a replacement. I saw on the internet that replacing the battery yourself is very easy. Here are my questions:

1. Will buying this and replacing my battery with it resolve the issue? http://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPhone-5-Replacement-Battery/IF118-001

2. Would you recommend doing it at home by someone with no huge fixing-stuff experience? I mean, has anyone done this? Is it really that easy? I'm a bit worried that I'll break something, even though i replaced RAM in a MacBook like a thousand times and exchanged and optical drive with a hard disk once.

Thanks everyone for your help, I'm really worried because of this situation. iPhone itself is such an expensive device that stuff like this shouldn't happen.

2. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

Try a couple of battery 'calibrations' per Apple recommendations.

Several people have reported this with iOS7. See if 7.1 solves.

3. Krzysztof thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for a quick reply :) I tried doing what they recommend. Even tried to restore a couple of times. Worked for a day or two and then started getting even worse. Is 7.1 expected in the next days?

4. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

No longer a recommended practice per Apple

5. Krzysztof thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, does anybidy know if theres going to be a problem if I buy it and use it in a couple of months? can it lie in a drawer for that long?

6. Steven. macrumors regular

Exact same has been happening to my iPhone 5 the last few weeks. Power draining 2-5% after each time I spend a few minutes doing basic tasks on the phone, and turning off when the battery gets to 20% :confused:

7. Krzysztof thread starter macrumors newbie

Isn't that just super annoying? As I'm typing i noticed mine dropped 30% in 15 minutes of listening to music. What are you going to do about it then? Really waiting for someone that has dobe the battery transplant himself here.

8. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

If you have warranty - go to the Apple Store or where you bought it, let them check it. I had the same problems. iPhone 5, battery draining fast, percentage jumps by 20% and 10%, so I took it for a checkup. What do you think happened? They told me that there was a problem with charging and then gave me a new phone.

9. Krzysztof thread starter macrumors newbie

As I said before, I don't have a warranty. That's what i would've done if i had it, but it has ended about 6 months ago, so I think the only option is to get the battery replaced ;/

10. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

11. Krzysztof thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you say something more? If the battery works like crap isn't it the thing to be replaced?

12. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

My battery was crap too, but technically it was fine, it had 1180mAh remaining out of 1440mAh. But I couldn't get more than 4 hours of VERY light usage.

Also, they could've had just replaced the battery, but they gave me a new phone instead. And believe me, they would NEVER give me a new phone if they could just replace the battery. In the paper, that I got back they've just wrote "Charging problems. Phone replaced, *serial number*."

13. Krzysztof thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a good point. But if I have no other options, would you recomment trying to do this? It costs just 30$. Worth a shot?

14. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

15. Krzysztof thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. It was very helpful indeed. If anybody wants I can let you know how it went afterwards. Waiting for the shipment :)

16. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

It's been a while, but for the OP -- how did it go? Thanks!