Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Burntfender

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Have had the phone since day 1. At first i didnt really notice it, but now its clear; the battery life on this thing is the worst of any iPhone that i have ever owned- and i have owned all but the original iPhone. My cousin and one of my friends is experiencing the same issues. Today from full charge, i watched a few minute long vids, sent about 50 text messages, and have been using the phoen on and off for web browsing- From taking it off the charge at 9am, the phone lasted until 3pm. 6 hours??? it wasnt being constantly used, probably sitting in standby for about 2-3 hours in that time. Every other iPhone i have used it all day and charged it overnight- this one i have to charge it in the afternoon! Not good enough. Anyone else having this? Plus has Apple mentioned anything about it?

Bigserver1

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
I don't have this issue. I have a weak signal at work that always switches between LTE and 3G and I get 6-7 hours of usage and more than a day of standby. If I'm at home with a better signal and wifi, I get 8-9 hours of usage.

Burntfender

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
[/COLOR]
I don't have this issue. I have a weak signal at work that always switches between LTE and 3G and I get 6-7 hours of usage and more than a day of standby. If I'm at home with a better signal and wifi, I get 8-9 hours of usage.

interesting. i get full bars wherever i go. i have turned 4G off though, and yet still have worse battery than you. bluetooth is off etc. but from what i have heard from other people, my experience seems to be fairly prevalent

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
[/COLOR]

interesting. i get full bars wherever i go. i have turned 4G off though, and yet still have worse battery than you. bluetooth is off etc. but from what i have heard from other people, my experience seems to be fairly prevalent

I'm with you. More people getting significantly less than advertised than people getting 8 hours of usage in the ways apple quoted. I can get 8 hours if I turn my phone into a music player only lol.

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
This is kind of interesting because both my iPhone 5 and my wife's IPhone 4s will now last two days of normal use. If I go to bed with 100% charge it is still 100% on both phones next morning. I never could do that before.

I admit that I do not do a lot of surfing on the phone because I use my iPad instead. However, I do it some. I feel like my actual phone time time is typical. Not as much as a teen but still used quite a bit.

I have run maps on battery with little trouble, but I admit that I normally plug into the my Ford Sync via USB because I want the sound through the radio...........that can be done with BT streaming also, but I prefer the USB due to improved voice control of music.

My batteries are doing GREAT

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
Nearly no notifications on and 2 apps running....aweful

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 109

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Have had the phone since day 1. At first i didnt really notice it, but now its clear; the battery life on this thing is the worst of any iPhone that i have ever owned- and i have owned all but the original iPhone. My cousin and one of my friends is experiencing the same issues. Today from full charge, i watched a few minute long vids, sent about 50 text messages, and have been using the phoen on and off for web browsing- From taking it off the charge at 9am, the phone lasted until 3pm. 6 hours??? it wasnt being constantly used, probably sitting in standby for about 2-3 hours in that time. Every other iPhone i have used it all day and charged it overnight- this one i have to charge it in the afternoon! Not good enough. Anyone else having this? Plus has Apple mentioned anything about it?

My first iPhone 5 got terrible battery life. After 7 days of buying it went to the apple store and traded in. Now it last 9hrs at work and still have 45% afterwards with moderate use (work is really boring long story). If I need it to last longer like for afterwork ill charge it mid day. For the most part, since trading in my iPhone 5 and using it for the past two wks, I no longer bring my lighting cable in to charge my phone mid day.

My use is lots of texting, web surfing, and music. Brightness at 45%, all notifications on, wifi on, Lte on, and Bluetooth on.

Last edited:

rollingstart

Jul 15, 2007
The three of you (you, friend, cousin) may be running the same wacky battery sucking app. For example, some games will drain your battery super fast. A 1 hour session of 10000000 will knock out 20% of my battery life, yet during normal use I easily get 8 hours of usage and 1 day of standby on one charge.

Also have you tried running down your battery to zero and recharging? Recalibrating might help.

RichyB

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2010
Mine started off amazing, now it's not so good so I'm sure it's app related.

kamalds

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
That is terrible. Well, what more do you expect from a phone with 1440mAh battery?

My Note 2 has 3100mAh battery and it gives me 6h+ active use. That too with bigger screen, better resolution, faster CPU, more RAM and more features. Talk about iPhone being more refined :/

schizbomb

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Texas
85% screen brightness
3 exchange push email accounts
push notifications from facebook, * with friends games, etc
bluetooth on all the time so it connects to my Ford
Texting/imessage all day

and usually I get about 8 hours used/25 hours standby

----------

Nearly no notifications on and 2 apps running....aweful

I would setup as new, the three iPhone 5s in my family get great battery, but one needed to be set up as new first.

Dajinii

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
I forgot where I read from, if you restore the iphone 5 from a previous iphone model and started using it, it keeps the setting somehow from old IOS and messes up battery life on the new phone with old settings. You have to reset all settings in general. Turn off and on again and use the phone until it runs out of juice and fully recharge and run it out again. I notice my battery life live up its standard afterwards.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
But have you restored from backup over all 5 iPhones you've had? Or have you started fresh this time?

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I'm on my 3rd iPhone now because of battery troubles on my first 2, and I'm still getting 6 hours of usage with most of the time on wifi. At this point I'm just gonna wait until 6.1 because I'm tired of getting replacements.

nyc999

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
I dont have an ip5 but have had a 4g droid for more than a year (well aware of battery issues). I WAS expecting the ip5 to have a poor battery. How could apple increase the sign of the phone, put in a faster chip, and bump up the phone to 4G but only increase the battery negligibly (only 10 mAh increase) compared to previous phone? What were they thinking???

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I think next year they should scrap new 'features' for the iPhone (and any other phone for that matter) and actually designate their research to improving battery standby and usage. These phones keep doing more things each year at the sacrifice of another hour here and there when being used.

My iPhone is unplugged at 7am and dead by 3.30/4pm every day. That's when I'm at work and it's not being used for more than 3hours of music max and a few texts and light internet use. When I'm home and on it a lot I get 4 hours max.

The only time it lasts in when I'm playing golf or otherwise occupied for a huge chunk of the day - then it'll do me through til 11pm. So battery is great when you don't use it!!

KittyToy

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Davenport
I get pretty good use out my iPhone 5 battery I have all push turned on n I text n use a lot of chat apps during the day but 90% of time I'm on wifi.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 130

Burntfender

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
But have you restored from backup over all 5 iPhones you've had? Or have you started fresh this time?

I recently got a new 4S replacement due to battery issues (was about three months ago) and synced it as new- so the sync should only be a few months old, and last backed up from iOS 5- surely that wouldn't make much difference?

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
My battery life was always as good if not better on my 5 when compared to the 4S. After downloading the latest OS on the five, it seem to be even better or Apple recall rated the battery indicator. My phone stays at 100% for a few hours before any drop. At the end of the day I have 10% more battery left in the typical day. :confused:

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
I set mine up as new and as you can see in the picture from a post earlier it is absolutely horrible...going to make a "Genius" appointment this week

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I for one have been VERY VERY happy with the battery life on the iPhone 5. I work nights, so I plug it in at 6am and get up between 1200 and 1 pm. When I plug it in I usually still have 40% battery life left. With my iPhone 4S by midnight I would have to plug it in cause I would be at 20%. I checked my usage last night and I had usage of 1 day 0hrs with 15% battery left.

And I have everything turned on push, BT, wifi etc.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.