Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cristian.rivera

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Hey, I just bought a White iPhone 5 from AT&T yesterday and immediately installed iOS 7. I've only been on safari and iTunes radio mostly and I've noticed my battery draining a lot faster then my previous iPhone. I know it definitely has to do with iOS 7 and I haven't used iOS 6 on the iPhone 5 so I have nothing to compare too. I attached my usage stats. Is this normal and if I switch back to iOS 6, from experience how long does the battery last?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 227

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Hey, I just bought a White iPhone 5 from AT&T yesterday and immediately installed iOS 7. I've only been on safari and iTunes radio mostly and I've noticed my battery draining a lot faster then my previous iPhone. I know it definitely has to do with iOS 7 and I haven't used iOS 6 on the iPhone 5 so I have nothing to compare too. I attached my usage stats. Is this normal and if I switch back to iOS 6, from experience how long does the battery last?

You'll get better battery life with iOS 6 at this moment because iOS 7 has a terrible battery bug right now.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA

14% for 1 hr of usage is good... Thats about 7 hr of usage i think u would get out of it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

cristian.rivera

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
You'll get better battery life with iOS 6 at this moment because iOS 7 has a terrible battery bug right now.

Really? Is that documented? I mean I know betas aren't energy efficient at all but my iOS 6 beta last year was better than this.

----------

14% for 1 hr of usage is good... Thats about 7 hr of usage i think u would get out of it.

That's what I figured but when I switch to LTE forget about it the percentage goes down like every second.

melb00m

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
It's a beta for a reason. It's not optimized in many ways, one of them being battery life.

Additionally, the battery will get better over time when a few loading cycles are through. Rechargable batteries don't unleash their full potential right from the start.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Really? Is that documented? I mean I know betas aren't energy efficient at all but my iOS 6 beta last year was better than this.

----------

That's what I figured but when I switch to LTE forget about it the percentage goes down like every second.

Get an external battery pack. These come in different battery sizes. I have the astro e4 which is 13000 mah

Anker® Astro 5600mAh Portable Power Bank Pack Backup External Battery Charger with built-in Flashlight for iPhone 5, 4S, 4, iPad Mini, iPods; Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, Note 2; HTC One, EVO, Thunderbolt, Incredible, Droid DNA; Motorola ATRIX, Droid; Google Nexus 4 ; LG Optimus [Lightning Adapter not included for iPhone 5]
http://amzn.com/B005K7192G

robwilson

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2012

I have not see any battery issues at all.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.

Talk about spreading FUD. Unless by 'battery bug' you mean it's a beta, which means that a) it's not final, b) it's going to have extra code in there to catch errors.

So yes, it uses a small amount of extra battery, I came home with a little less than usual, but it's expected. You're not really supposed to use a beta with your main device anyway.

cristian.rivera

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Since my initial post I've just been browsing macrumors and I'm down to 77% already. I guess I'll just wait and see how it is over time.

Also when I got the phone I did the restore to iOS 7 which has a bug in some cases where it won't activate with the developer servers to I went back to iOS 6 then did an update to iOS 7 which doesn't feels as clean. Could this be a factor also?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 143

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Did you buy this phone for testing purposes? I hope this isn't your main device.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Since my initial post I've just been browsing macrumors and I'm down to 77% already. I guess I'll just wait and see how it is over time.

Also when I got the phone I did the restore to iOS 7 which has a bug in some cases where it won't activate with the developer servers to I went back to iOS 6 then did an update to iOS 7 which doesn't feels as clean. Could this be a factor also?

Once in a while you might get 4-6 hrs of battery. I always get 5-6 hrs and i think thats great and i always have my battery pack in my bag so I'm good to go.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012

I am at 15% right now and my usage is 2 hours and 21 minutes and standby for 3 hours and 4 minutes. Yes... battery is terrible. And I noticed my phone is hotter compared to when I had iOS 6.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Just thought that I would say. my battery life in iOS 7 beta 1 is much better than it ever was in iOS 6!

However, I'll try not to get used to it, in case it all goes downhill in beta 2!

davydav

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
Do you guys think the faster battery drain could hurt the battery in the long run ? I only have my main iPhone which I use for development, but if the faster drain really hurts the battery then I guess I'll switch back to OS 6 and use the simulator.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
4.5 hours at 37% def worse than before and its getting quite hot using apps that require an internet connection.

rtfulk

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
I had the exact same problem with ios 7. What I did to fix it was go to settings/ general/ accessibility then turn on Reduce Motion. This turns off the 3D effect on the home screen. My battery is almost at what it was in ios 6.

SuperRob

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
My battery life problem was caused by an iCloud account that wasn't syncing. (I figured it out when I realized I was missing contacts from that account.) I deleted it, then re-added it, and my contacts popped up, my phone cooled off, and my battery life went back to normal. I seem to remember this stuck syncing being the cause of a battery drain issue on a previous iOS version as well.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Honestly I can't take many of these Battery use claims too seriously.

This is especially true if the person testing didn't do detailed logs prior to the upgrade, and if their usage is any different now, as compared to before. We get posts like this every iOS upgrade, and it seems that people forget they are sitting in front of their phones (screen on) testing / playing more than they did the week before on their old copy of iOS.

I personally will only accept battery test results from entities that have multiple phones, and can / have done detailed comparisons either side by side, or by doing detailed logging.

I don't doubt the possibility of there being a bug, however the pattern is quite similar to previous iOS upgrade complaints.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011

Looking at your post, 14% battery in 67 minutes. At that rate you'd be looking at JUST under 8 hours battery life. Which is think it pretty great for a beta.

14% / 100 = 7.14
7.14 x 67 minutes = just under 8 hours :)

rtfulk

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
I figured there would be some issues since it is a beta. I was surprised to see my battery go from 100% to 80% within an hour with it being into pocket most of the time.

Today I have been using my for 3 1/2 hrs. and I just hit 80%.

Orlandu

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
No I have another 4.

iPhone 4 battery life is much better than iPhone 5, in general. I can't say what it's like with both on iOS 7, but because of LTE, better CPU, etc. the battery life on the iPhone 5 is horrible in comparison to the 4. I used to get through a full day on my 4 without having to charge. I would barely make it to lunch on my iPhone 5 if it wasn't plugged in all the time. But so far, iOS 7 has been worse for battery life. I can literally watch the battery go down 1% every 30 seconds to a minute while streaming iTunes Radio with the screen on, nothing else going on.

cristian.rivera

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
After a day of using iOS 7 I feel my battery life has been better. Here is a screenshot of my current usage? This seems pretty decent right? I've only been on WiFi using safari, surfing around macrumors.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 120

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iPhone 4 battery life is much better than iPhone 5, in general. I can't say what it's like with both on iOS 7, but because of LTE, better CPU, etc. the battery life on the iPhone 5 is horrible in comparison to the 4. I used to get through a full day on my 4 without having to charge. I would barely make it to lunch on my iPhone 5 if it wasn't plugged in all the time. But so far, iOS 7 has been worse for battery life. I can literally watch the battery go down 1% every 30 seconds to a minute while streaming iTunes Radio with the screen on, nothing else going on.
Observed pretty much the opposite in quite a few cases when comparing iPhone 4 to iPhone 5, as well as no significant difference one way or another in some cases.

People need to keep in mind that battery usage will differ for different people, in different areas, at different times, with different usage of the phone on daily basis. It can do even more so between iOS updates, especially when betas and large redesigns are involved, sometimes simply due to the fact that there are some settings or things running in the background that are stuck or need to be tweaked with the updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.