iPhone 5 battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lazypoet, Sep 14, 2015.

1. lazypoet macrumors regular

lazypoet

My iPhone 5 is becoming more and more sluggish battery wise. It's 2 years old. Would you consider that normal wear and tear?

Also. Is it worth upgrading to the 6S, or will the iPhone 5 play the new games OK without too much lag? :) Also will the iPhone 5 be even more sluggish on iOs 9 and is my Apple Watch the culprit of it's battery drain?

2. willmtaylor, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Batteries don't make phones sluggish. The speed of the phone depends on the processor and, to an extent, the memory. The length of time which the phone will last on a charge is the only aspected the battery will affect.

Download Coconut battery status onto your computer and plug in your phone to see what kind of battery degradation you have.

Also, here's Apple's page about iPhone 5 batteries:
    https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

3. lazypoet thread starter macrumors regular

lazypoet

Sorry, sluggish was a bad term. Let's say it drains fast.

4. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

It's normal especially after 2 years. My 6+ is only a year old and it's starting to drain much faster at this point. Another good reason for why I'm getting the iPhone UP;)

5. lazypoet thread starter macrumors regular

lazypoet

What about battery cases? I heard they can make the phone warm and ruin the battery

6. Badradio macrumors 6502

If your battery gets to about 20% then the phone dies, check to see if you're covered by the battery exchange program. My iPhone 5 was covered, so Apple replaced the battery for free.

As for ongoing performance, I'm keeping my 5 for at least another year, and I think the performance will be ok with iOS 9, but then I'm not a big phone gamer.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Did you go to the Apple link I provided to see if yours could be replaced free with the Apple recall?

8. lazypoet thread starter macrumors regular

lazypoet

I'll check it now! thanks so much for the advice! :)

@Badradio: I think I might be able to have patience to wait another year before I buy a new one.. :D

Maybe the new one week-battery technology will be released? ;)

UPDATE:

"The serial number you entered is not eligible under this program because either:
    - It's not one of the serial numbers in the affected range
    - Our records show that your battery has already been replaced. If you paid for a battery replacement service, check with Apple to see if you are eligible for a refund."

This might be due to they took in my first iPhone because of a graphics problem and gave me a new one from recycled material one year after purchase. ??

9. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

I'm in the same boat as you are. My 5 doesn't last half a day nowadays, and it sometimes has the tendency to drop from 60% to 30% and them to 7% in about 10 minutes, and that's without me doing anything. Good thing I can upgrade now to a 6S.

10. lazypoet thread starter macrumors regular

lazypoet

Did you consider either three options?

* Battery cover
    * iOs 9 magically making the battery better
    * Paying for a battery replacement?

Just somethings to consider as it's probably cheaper than a brand new phone :) But i'm no expert

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Perhaps. Do you live within a reasonable distance from an Apple Store?Run a diagnostic using Coconut Battery and see what comes up. Also, Apple stores have been known to replace batteries/phones even if out of warranty.

12. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Battery isn't covered, my phone was made 6 months after the date Apple issued.
    iOS 9 won't help a battery that's already doing 60%-10% in less than 10 minutes.
    I'm pretty sure it's not the battery itself (it still has 85% of its design capacity available) but rather something on the logic board. It's running quite warm all the time, even when doing nothing with the phone. A logic board replacement isn't cheap, but it's way over the value of the phone, so I'm not even going to do that.

I was shopping for an 6S anyway, so we're going to do that.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Live close to an Apple shop? Take it in anyway and ask about it. They've been known to replace phones with such issues.

14. lazypoet thread starter macrumors regular

lazypoet

It's true they have been generous with me in the past. I find it depends on who you talk to the day when you go there...

15. lazypoet thread starter macrumors regular

lazypoet

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

17. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Lol that's my thread.

Battery life on my 5 still isn't great. I haven't taken it in to the Apple Store yet. It's 45 minutes away, and they've been booked pretty solid lately, even before the announcement of the 6s.

18. lazypoet thread starter macrumors regular

lazypoet

I just got a 1000 $ from tax profits....... WHY do this happen to me just when Apple launched a new iPhone.. it must be faith :p