iPhone 5 being/has been delayed because of patent lawsuits

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hart1583, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Hart1583 macrumors regular

Hart1583

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Take it for what it's worth.

My brother works for a legal firm that has direct knowledge of the case.
    He doesnt care about phone or anything (he has blackberry he barely knows how to use). I spoke to him on the east coast last night and told him to get the new iPhone when it comes out for FaceTime. He said, and I quote "Dunno when that's coming bro....Apple has been in a deep legal battle these last few months over it". I asked him what he meant and he said "some patent stuff going on, it's real low key but I haven't heard a word about it in a month".
    I asked if he meant about apple going after the galaxy tab and he said "no, someone is going after apple and doing a good job for the little stuff I hear".

And that's all he said. My brother like I said is not a phone guy, apple fan boy, android phone boy, ect.....so I know he didn't load up macrumors and see everyone wondering where the iPhone 5 is.

So take it for what it's worth. I'm sure a lot will flame me.....but just passing a little hearsay of what I heard...

2. Hart1583 thread starter macrumors regular

Hart1583

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Let me add....I hope he is 100% wrong/misinformed

3. JaHawk2009 macrumors member

I'm trying to think of someone who could actually go against Apple and actually succeed...... :confused:

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I think Sansung should sue Apple as they are copying the Samsung phones! Just Google the Samsung Note, from what I can tell Apple is going to make the iPhone 5 to look just like what Samsung has already introduced!:mad:

5. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Haha, you really think Apple would break cycle just because of a few petty legal battles?! LMFAO!

6. geezageek macrumors newbie

Everyone needs to calm down on the iphone 5 front. It's only a bloody thing! Best Buy have said that the special event in October is for a new ipad display and not for the release of the iphone 5. Everyone's going to very disappointed when Apple announces the new iPhone 4S.

7. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

If this were true, we would have heard much more in the press about something like this. The company doing the suing would be shouting as loud as the could in order to drive attention to their technology and try to increase their value.

Personally, I think the phone has been ready to go since June, but iOS 5 has not and it has been the root of the later launch date.

8. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Sounds like complete hog-wash. How can you sue against something that hasn't even been officially announced?

9. Muro macrumors 6502

Only one force who can manage that is: Mr. Chuck Norris.

10. chdwil macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's true! My neighbors brother is a janitor at the courthouse and he said Apple is in big trouble.

11. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I will not flame you my friend. I did however laugh to myself and shake my head whist reading it.

"Thanks for the lolz" as they say :D

12. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Um, My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw a guy at 31 flavors who said it WAS being delayed by patent issues..... I guess it's pretty serious.

13. EddyP macrumors 6502

He's probably confusing the other public patent issues they have been going through over the past months. I would be interested in what "direct knowledge" he has. Does he work for an IP firm representing Apple? Or a competitor?

Why would fighting in defense of Apple's patents delay the phone? Makes no sense.

I heard from an ATT rep that they it was delayed too by patent issues. The rep said they had a cousin who used to work with Johnny Cochran. I guess it's pretty serious.

14. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Not saying it's true but if it is then yes, this does make sense.
    Depending upon the patent, if Apple lost they could be required to pay based on a percentage of their sales.
    No sales = smaller payment.

15. CWT1965 macrumors 6502

I suspect that the delay is because they are waiting for a lull in Steve's health so that he can do the keynote, with cancer Steve would have ups and downs and I suspect they are waiting for him to have another up period so that he can launch the iPhone 5

Steve did the iPad 2 launch a few weeks after the Enquirer 6 weeks to live article in March and was well enough to do it

16. EddyP macrumors 6502

Ah. By "going after" I thought he meant introducing a competitive product. Not trying to invalidate Apple's patents. Makes more sense. But these things would be public knowledge, right?

I'm still not convinced the OP's brother knew what he was talking about. We don't even know if he works for an IP firm or could just be a personal injury lawyer. He may have just as much "direct knowledge" of Apple's patent fights as the rest of us do.

17. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

This is Apple. They do things their way.

They operate nearly consequence free, because in the USA people worship two things.

Money and Apple.

Anyone who disputes that, hasn't been paying attention.

18. blackflashlight macrumors newbie

19. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Apple better release this thing soon so we can stop with the "I think the iPhone 5 is being delayed because...." threads.

20. Fank macrumors member

Fank

Caught G4 network AOTS yesterday where it was said the new ipad display is delayed until early-mid 2012 due to problems making a retinal display ipad size.

21. TC25 macrumors 68020

Clearly a drive by thread, OP posts then disappears. Moderators must be busy searching for duplicate threads.:D

22. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

This.

OP, you should try writing scripts for Hollywood movies. You have awe-inspiring imagination. :rolleyes:

23. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

Homer's (simpson) mother is related to steve jobs aunt, and yet he doesn't gossip about Apple as much as you

(i got the homer thing from cult of mac i think)

24. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

If the technology in a product exists in a prior model, and a newer model has elements or has that questioned technology, then this would be a potent ion problem.

25. labman macrumors 604

labman

Samsung Apple lawsuit well known. Apple being sued Known Apple Suing others including a food company that they say borrowed there logo known. Apple lawyers probably have either the best or the worst job security at Apple. Unless a judge orders it I doubt anything would stop Apple from doing what it wants.