iPhone 5 Bending

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darkroggue, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Darkroggue, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

Darkroggue macrumors newbie

Hey there. First of all, I'm not a troll. Just became a member to ask something. A few weeks ago, I bought an iPhone 5. It's the first Apple product that I have got so far, so I think you can help me in some points. I want to hear something about their bending problem, and sorry in advance if my post seems kind of long to read and if my English sucks from time to time.

I don't remember how, but while surfing the web, I came across many threads about the bending problem of iPhone 5, and that made me uneasy, as far as you may guess. I usually wear skinny jeans, and always put my phone in the front pocket. I had many phones until today and have not carried any of them in my back pocket. I won't do something like that in the future, either.

Inspite of all, I read people's posts aying their phones were still bent although they carried it in their front pockets, never dropped it or never got them out of their cases etc. For these reasons, I became uneasy more and more.

In the forums where these kind of things are largely discussed, some say it bends just because of overheating (although most of them claims that alliminium melts in 600 degrees), while some other claim it bends due to dropping or sitting on it, or putting it in the wrong pocket.

1) Is this bending thingie really about overheating? Since reading these, I'm very afraid of causing it to overheat by playing many games with high sizes or even turning 3G on while surfing the web.

2) As I stated before, I bought my iPhone 5 a few weeks ago. Seeing that many bending problems were reported in the fall of 2012, or reported few months ago by those who had been using their phones for months since their release date, I suppose Apple may have fixed this problem by strengthening their materials a little bit more for the next 5s they made. Do you guys think so? Think I'm lucky to have bought it so late?

3)Tonight, I asked a friend of mine using an iPhone 5 and he told me that he bought it in December, 2012, and it still looks fine. Perhaps, there are a little numbers of flawy ones in the millions of them which were sold around the world?

4) In the many threads, people say that they use an otterbox for protecting their phones, and the others say that their cases, which made of plastic, can cause this. I don't use an otterbox. I bought a case yesterday which seems hard plastic to me. I am not so sure, though. So will it protect enough, or not?

5) Some say they can't bend it with their bare hands no matter how hard they try, while the others say their phones have easily bent by putting it in their back pockets. What do you guys think the truth is?

6) As far as I know, Apple didn't make any official explanation about this yet, did they?

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

iPhone 5 Bending

I just going to say it:
    Don't worry so much about your iPhone bending and overheating.
    I don't like otter boxes that much but they do a well job protecting your iPhone 5.
    I have the commuter series for iPhone 5. No apple explanation has been made.
    Why would you even try bending such an expensive device in the first place.
    What case do you use?
    Their are no "flawed" iPhone 5's but the only ones I have heard were manufactured scuffed on the back side.
    You can check a website to see when your iPhone 5 was made(search google).
    This is all my opinions.

3. Darkroggue, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

Darkroggue thread starter macrumors newbie

I cannot but worrying, you know. I've seen many bent iphone 5s all around the web, forums, etc. and it made me totally uneasy. Considering that the aliminium melts in nearly 600 degrees or so, I don't think it's really about overheating. Though, I'm very afraid. What do you think? People say they just bend even if they have carried their phones in their front pockets, not having sat on them ever, or having dropped them. How can it be possible to face with an issue like that?

I suppose Apple have fixed this material problem for the next iPhone 5s they manufactured, and consider myself lucky to have purchased mine so late. Hope that deeply.

Generally speaking, the bent iPhone 5s I have seen had a crack right upon the volume buttons, which they all have started to bend from.

Lastly, what is the reason behind that a little amount of people have reported a bent 5 among millions which were widely sold around the world until today? I cannot cool myself down.

4. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

The iPhone 5 is much tougher than any other phone because it is made of plastic and most others are cheap plastic. All I can really say is not to worry.

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

As Zmanbaseball2 has already said, don't worry!!

If you believe every criticism you read about the iPhone (or anything else!) you'd never buy one!

Remember that of the millions of iPhones sold, the so-called complaints posted on various forums amount to a minuscule and irrelevant percentage of the whole.

Some people just love to complain! Apart from "bending" you will find comments referring to colour casts, fraying leads, cosmetic problems, scratched screens etc, etc, etc. The vast majority of these are irrelevant and often indicate lack of knowledge or misuse.

Just enjoy your iPhone! :)

6. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

What are you talking about???! The 5's body is made of non-tempered aluminum.

The weak point is above the volume down button. Sitting on your phone can bend the body. Just don't sit on it.

7. Zmanbaseball2, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

iPhone 5 Bending

I think it is stronger than any other phone because it metal.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. Darkroggue thread starter macrumors newbie

I love my iPhone 5, and am very frightened as I said before. You know, no matter how much you guys say it's okay and nothing to worry about, I feel suspicious.

I never use my phones in my back pockets. I always put them in the front and behave them kindly. But in the threads I read, people say that their phones were bent somehow inspite of taking care of them very well. I'm so afraid of facing with the same problem in the future. Wish there was something to do to be exactly sure of that anything bad would happen at all.

10. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

It's just pure owner neglect with there phones. There's nothing wrong with them as regarding design. There will always be scare mongers on the Internet. Just enjoy it and don't worry.

11. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

you have more chance of dying in a car crash than bending your phone

seriously, search this forum and the net and make a note of every separate bent iphone 5 you can find. Only count the ones with a photo and make sure you only count them once....if you manage to count 50,000 bent iPhones that only equals 1% of all the iPhone 5's sold in the first weekend let alone all of them in existence.

you have a greater chance of dying in a car accident than bending your iPhone.

Stop worrying about it and enjoy it

12. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Caution is one thing but "frightened" is another. If your phone get smacked hard enough in your front pocket it could bend. Enough pressure in the center of the phone supported by only your softer leg will and can bend your phone. A friend of mine was walking and ran into a table the same height as the phone in his front pocket and it DID bend it right at the volume button.

This is not a defect just physics at work:p

13. TBONE72 macrumors regular

I have to respectfully disagree. I'm very cautious with my phone and would never sit on it or something like that. Overnight my iPhone 5 got very hot and I wasn't sure how long it was that way before I discovered it. Sure enough i noticed a few day later that my phone had a slight bend to it around the volume buttons that wasn't there before. It should be noted that on that side of the phone is where the battery is and I did have my phone charging when it got hot.

I've read a handful of similar situations to mine where the result was the same.

14. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

True.

Mine also has developed a very slight bend in it at the weak point. All I do is keep it in my right pocket all the time, and I do not wear overly tight pants/shorts. I don't even remember the phone getting all that hot either, other than the normal 30°C weather.

15. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

You beat me to the punch!!! :D

The next model should be made out of titanium, due to its rigidity and weight. Ti won't hurt the reception of the antennae, either. Or steel, that's pretty rigid. But the phone would weigh a couple of pounds. I can see the review now: It's a little heavier than most phones, but it feels solid in your hand.

16. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

You do know that Apple sells millions of these iPhone 5's and a few have suggested that their phone just bended by themselves ? Perhaps, but some owners have sat on them, put them in their rear pants pocket, front tight pocket, and banged them against something during the day, then they rant, and blame the phone. Why would anyone want to put the aluminum phone in ones pants pocket. Go ahead and do so, look down at your phone in the pocked and see how it could bend, even in the front pocket. Yes, its Aluminum, and easier to bend, but one has to be careful with the phone, and some people are not. Others are just passing blame. Again, millions of these have been sold, so don't be so paranoid...

17. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

I would never use the words "Very Frightened" to express just a simple concern for a dumb phone. Very frightened would be used for other occasions like a near death situation. ;)

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Considering the millions of iPhone 5s sold the vast majority of them have no problems. Personally, I don't believe random people on the internet who say their phone bent, broke, spontaneously combusted on their own.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Overly dramatic much?
    I think the OP is playing us:D

20. Darkroggue thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm still feeling anxious about this issue whenever I open a game larger than 100 MB, and notice my iPhone 5 heating. As I remember, I read somewhere that overheating might do it. It's true that millions of iPhone 5s have been sold until today, and the people complaining about the bending problem are not even %5, to our view of thinking.

However, I still would love to hear an official explanation about this, that will be an answer to my problem. You may think I'm dramatizing, but you also may guess how much you all cared about your first iPhones when you bought it. Additionally, in my country, there is not any Apple Store, so I cannot take my phone there to take advices about it.

A friend of mine asked one of his friends who has been using an iPhone 5 for a long time without a case. He told me that he told him there was nothing to worry about. According to his words, his friend still has a flawless 5 although he's using it carelessly and without a case. He told him that there was no bending thingie. However, I keep being anxious. I'm taking my phone out of my pocket even when I have to walk upstairs to prevent my phone from a probable bending problem.

21. jbzcar macrumors regular

I wouldn't stress about it. As long as there is no other physical damage, a bent housing on an iPhone 5 is covered by the standard warranty.

22. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Aluminum, while not being the absolute strongest material in the universe, is extremely durable and strong. Under normal usage cases, it shouldn't "bend". If you smash it with a hammer or something, then it might.

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Aluminum bends, officially.

[​IMG]

24. jon3543 macrumors 6502

Stopped reading here.

25. yanki01 macrumors 68030

yanki01

hmmmm.