Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

St8kout

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Anyone else having this problem? It will randomly go to minimum brightness when I touch the screen but when I go into Settings the slider is still set up close to high where I left it. I have to move it back and forth a little to get the brightness back.

It's really annoying especially when outside because then I can barely see the screen to restore the brightness.

I've already tried powering it down completely. Maybe a full factory reset is next? I assume iTunes will restore everything back to normal, right?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
iPhone 5 brightness goes dark at random. Auto is off.

It happened to me when I was on iOS 6.1.2 on my iPhone 5 and iPod touch 5. I turned the screen on and it on minimal brightness. I turn the screen on and off and that was the fix for me. When I was a JB their was a fix for it on Cydia so it must be a software glitch that Apple needs to fix.
Now I am not JB and my iPhone and iPod touch work fine/ don't have this problem.

Sent from my iPod touch 5G using Tapatalk 2

aliciadear

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
Mine did that too really randomly. It would be SUPER dim when I clicked the screen on so then I would click the lock button to turn it off, then click it back on and it'd be better. I recently switched my phone out because I was having the lock button issue where it stops working on the right side (unrelated to this issue) and my replacement has not done the dim screen thing. It is very weird though.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Mine just started doing that today. Is the restore the solution or is a replacement needed?

Also, it wouldn't charge this morning until a hard reset. Strange...

Daniibabbyy

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2013
I have the same problem and have since I got my phone on launch day. I'm pretty sure it's software related because I've had my phone replaced for another issue and it still does the same thing. Not very frequently but it does happen.

FelicityW

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
NY->CA->AZ->MI->AZ
Add one more

I just started having this happen regularly today. It may have happened before one or twice, but today has been 'screen out' 5 or 6 times. Once it was so dark, I just turned the phone off and swiped where the off arrow should be, hoping I got it to turn off (I did). It was on with a black screen. Not good. When I powered it on, the screen was back. What up?

dawson44

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
I may have found a new step to try on my 5. If you have the flashlight app from "Apps From Outter Space" - the green icon with yellow flashlight - go to the settings there. Inside there is a "change hardware brightness" setting, as well as "turn display off" with subsequent "after 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc". I thought about dupilcating the issue to isolate it, and remembered it also happens (the dimming issue) going into or out of that flashlight app. My wife has a 4S with same said flashlight app and her phone has the same auto dim issue. So I checked the settings in her flashlight app, and they were set exactly like mine: Turn Display off after 1 hour, and Change Hardware Brightness was checked.
My hypothesis, based on my experience of maybe accidentally bumping the screen twice and activating the dimming, is that the flashlight app is still running in background, then the home screen locks and puts the app in sleep mode, and when phone is unlocked it catches up to the "1hour" setting to turn display off, and thus, dims it immediately.
I've changed the settings and will monitor the situation. If my educated guess is unfounded, i just typed a lot with my thumbs for no reason.
Good luck!

ptt1404

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2015
Hi guys, my new Ipad Air 2 has the same problem too (which my older ipad 2 does not). The problem reminds me how I fixed the problem that called "themal throttle" of my LG G PRO 2 years ago. I had to manually go to secret setting of the phone and TURNED ON some settings that prevented the phone from overheating. When it was overheat the screen would dim by itself to reduce the heat from the screen. Here is the evidence:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2296447
So my question is: how do we enter secret menu of ipad to disable stupid thermal throttle settings ?
My stupid ipad air drives my crazy!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.