Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
The lock button on my iPhone 5 has been broken for a few months now. When I say broken, I mean the right side doesn't work. I know this is a common issue, and Apple is known to give a replacement iPhone when people have this problem. My iPhone has a few scratches so I wouldn't mind getting a replacement myself. However, I live about 3 hours away from the nearest Apple store, and apparently Apple will stop giving away replacements and start actually fixing the lock button pretty soon.

If I send it in to Apple, will they just fix it, or will they send me a replacement phone? I'm not sure when I'll be going to Minneapolis (where the nearest Apple store is) so I don't really know what to do :confused:

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
There is never a guarantee that they'll replace it anyway. The warranty states they'll repair or replace.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Common sense takes over here.

If you have an apple store, make an appointment and take it to them. Face to face transaction and new phone on the spot

Or

Take a few days to mail it in and be without it during that time.

Hmmmmmmm. Just take it in. There are a ton of threads on this already, which you could've found by searching. 90% of the people walked in and walked out with a new phone on the spot. For a 3 hour ride I would risk that over being without the phone for potentially days.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
You also have the express replacement option. The cost is $29 dollars (unless you have AppleCare) plus a non-return fee held to your credit card.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Common sense takes over here.

If you have an apple store, make an appointment and take it to them. Face to face transaction and new phone on the spot

Or

Take a few days to mail it in and be without it during that time.

Hmmmmmmm. Just take it in. There are a ton of threads on this already, which you could've found by searching. 90% of the people walked in and walked out with a new phone on the spot. For a 3 hour ride I would risk that over being without the phone for potentially days.

Seriously dude? I've been a member here for nearly 2 years. I know how to use the search function and I have used it.

All that I was asking is if Apple sends you a replacement phone or if they fix your current phone when sending it in.

You also have the express replacement option. The cost is $29 dollars (unless you have AppleCare) plus a non-return fee held to your credit card.

Thank you! I never knew that even existed. This weekend I may be arranging plans to go to Minneapolis, but if that doesn't work out, I think I'll definitely be going that route.

Although I can live without a phone for a few days, the Express Replacement service seems to guarantee that I get a replacement phone.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Seriously dude? I've been a member here for nearly 2 years. I know how to use the search function and I have used it.

All that I was asking is if Apple sends you a replacement phone or if they fix your current phone when sending it in.

Thank you! I never knew that even existed. This weekend I may be arranging plans to go to Minneapolis, but if that doesn't work out, I think I'll definitely be going that route.

Although I can live without a phone for a few days, the Express Replacement service seems to guarantee that I get a replacement phone.

3 hours is on the borderline of risking the drive or not bit I personally would. I don't feel comfortable mailing it in and waiting for it to come back.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The lock button on my iPhone 5 has been broken for a few months now. When I say broken, I mean the right side doesn't work. I know this is a common issue, and Apple is known to give a replacement iPhone when people have this problem. My iPhone has a few scratches so I wouldn't mind getting a replacement myself. However, I live about 3 hours away from the nearest Apple store, and apparently Apple will stop giving away replacements and start actually fixing the lock button pretty soon.

If I send it in to Apple, will they just fix it, or will they send me a replacement phone? I'm not sure when I'll be going to Minneapolis (where the nearest Apple store is) so I don't really know what to do :confused:

Did you decide to go to an Apple store to get your phone replaced or did you contact Apple tech support instead?

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Did you decide to go to an Apple store to get your phone replaced or did you contact Apple tech support instead?

The lock button has actually gotten to the point where the left side works like 1% of the time now, so I'm going to do the express replacement option asap. Locking it is impossible unless I hit it just right. Only thing that I'm worried about is that I'll get a replacement that's on 6.1.3/4 :(

Mrappleguru

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013

Hi,
I recommend going in as sometimes they will just give you a new phone altogether (Personal Experience). I know they say they were going to but haven't implemented yet.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The lock button has actually gotten to the point where the left side works like 1% of the time now, so I'm going to do the express replacement option asap. Locking it is impossible unless I hit it just right. Only thing that I'm worried about is that I'll get a replacement that's on 6.1.3/4 :(

I think that the replacement you get at this point in time might be version 6.1.3/4.

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
If for some reason Apple will not replace or fix the issue (or cost is prohibitive), you could also jailbreak it and use gestures to replace the home button's function. Not ideal... but just throwing that out as a worst case scenario.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Hi,
I recommend going in as sometimes they will just give you a new phone altogether (Personal Experience). I know they say they were going to but haven't implemented yet.

Well the express replacement option would guarantee me a replacement, but it seems like it would be more likely for me to get a 6.1.3/4 replacement if I got one directly from Apple.

However, it just doesn't seem worth 6 hours of driving to me. The only thing I need my jailbreak for is tethering, which is still achievable without a jailbreak. It's just nice to have the possibility (and resale value). But it would give me a good excuse to try out the iOS 7 beta :D

I think I might be able to avoid the $29 fee for express replacement. Last year, I sent in my RMBP because it had a bad screen and they offered to send me a replacement first. I don't know if they do the same for iPhones but it's worth a shot.

I think that the replacement you get at this point in time might be version 6.1.3/4.

:( oh well...

If for some reason Apple will not replace or fix the issue (or cost is prohibitive), you could also jailbreak it and use gestures to replace the home button's function. Not ideal... but just throwing that out as a worst case scenario.

It's the lock button, but that's true. I just worry about resale value because I do intend to buy the 5S/6 when it's released.

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
It's the lock button, but that's true. I just worry about resale value because I do intend to buy the 5S/6 when it's released.
Oops. Misread :eek: Either way, I hope it will be taken care of. Apple IMO generally seems to have good customer service so here's hoping everything works out as ideal as possible :)

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
Well the express replacement option would guarantee me a replacement, but it seems like it would be more likely for me to get a 6.1.3/4 replacement if I got one directly from Apple.

However, it just doesn't seem worth 6 hours of driving to me. The only thing I need my jailbreak for is tethering, which is still achievable without a jailbreak. It's just nice to have the possibility (and resale value). But it would give me a good excuse to try out the iOS 7 beta :D

I think I might be able to avoid the $29 fee for express replacement. Last year, I sent in my RMBP because it had a bad screen and they offered to send me a replacement first. I don't know if they do the same for iPhones but it's worth a shot.

:( oh well...

If you purchased AppleCare on it then the $29 express replacement fee is waived. Keep in mind though that they'll need to put a hold on your credit card for a non-return fee. Also, there's a good chance the replacement phone could be lower than 6.1.3. But if not, then iOS 7 would be the way to go. It's awesome. And I've had no troubles at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.