iPhone 5 - Broken Mic?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rustlessrocker, Mar 5, 2014.

1. rustlessrocker macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I bought a used iPhone 5 off of Craigslist last Friday. It powered up, activated at Verizon store just fine, made a call, etc. However, on Sunday when I needed to talk to someone, the mic wouldn't work. I could hear the other person, but they could not hear me. The speakerphone, Facetime, and Siri all responded correctly, but my voice could not be heard by the other person. I checked the Voice Memos app and it didn't pick anything up when recording and a decibel app stayed relatively steady at about 30db.

So, I did a complete restore on the phone Monday night and set it up as a new phone. The microphone worked then when recording a voice memo that night. The next morning I was making a voice call on my way to work and the microphone worked for about two minutes and then quit. I had to use the speakerphone again.

I did two restores last night on the phone and neither one of them got the microphone back working. I can still use Siri, Facetime, and the speakerphone, but the regular microphone is out.

Is this possibly a software issue since it worked after one restore? I have read that for some phones iOS 7 killed the microphone and I am hoping that this is the case with mine and that 7.1 will correct this, but who knows. I took it to a local repair shop and the owner told me that it may be software as he saw it with AT&T phones, but not Verizon and to try the restore again (which I did last night). He said to replace the ribbon, it would be $100. I really don't want to have to go that route, but if I have to, I will.

Anyone else have this problem? Have I exhausted all of my options and just need to suck it up and pay for the ribbon repair?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The only comment I can make here is that unless you went to Apple you have not exhausted all your options. Apple should be able to tell you what's wrong. And if it comes down to a replacement then the OoW charge (if no Applecare+) is only about $100-150 more.

Personally, I'd rather pay Apple to fix it or replace my iPhone.

3. rustlessrocker thread starter macrumors newbie

The only trouble is the closest Apple Store is two hours. We do have a certified retailer and service shop about an hour from here. So, is the max $200-250? If so, I'd rather just purchase another phone off eBay or Craigslist. I've already got $350 tied in this as it's a 32GB phone.

4. rustlessrocker thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like it was "fixed" when I put a case on it. For whatever reason having the back microphone covered helped the front one to work. I have a guess that it has to do with the "noise cancellation" feature, but I disabled that earlier and it wouldn't work. Regardless, it's working fine now.