iPhone 5 bumpers + scratching

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by funnyboy88, Sep 13, 2013.

1. funnyboy88 macrumors regular

I've used a bumper on my 4S since it was released (in combination with front and back films), and while I love the unintrusive design, I'm left with a phone with a severely scratched steel band. See the photo below.

I'm ready to upgrade to the 5s, and I'm looking at bumpers, but I'm afraid the same issue might reoccur. Obviously, I could be diligent about cleaning the bumper often, but I'd love to know if the iPhone 5 design has been any better about withstanding scuffs and scratches against bumpers.

[​IMG]

PS. Enjoy my wonderful hand modeling.

2. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

That happens with a lot of cases. I had a Speck PixelSkin HD on my 4S that did that over time. Not as severe as yours, but close.

No signs on my 5 yet, though.

3. LithePanther macrumors 6502

I would search online for bumpers that don't have negative reviews about scratches. I haven't used a bumper on my 5 but I've used other hard cases and have not had any scratching.

4. Will2145 macrumors 6502

Will2145

been using bumpers since 2012 and no scratches caused by my bumpers.

5. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

That sucks, I use a Neo Hybrid Ex bumper on mine since launch date of the iPhone 5 and no signs of those. You should probably clean your phone more often.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I had the apple bumper on my 4 for about a year without any scratches. I used to take it off to clean it about every couple of months.

7. bigpika macrumors member

have a Caze thin edge on my iphone 5. no scratches or marks. best bumper imo. smooth black finish, perfect fit and makes the phone feel solid

8. Warcake macrumors regular

I've used plastic and aluminum bumpers, I've dropped the phone with them on, and no scratches whatsoever. You'd think the aluminum bumper would scratch the sides, but surprisingly it didn't.

9. oaktree macrumors regular

I've had a bumper on my 4 for three years and there is no evidence of scratching. Mine was an Apple bumper. What kind was yours. I would be very unhappy with a bumper that did this to my phone.

I agree with you that it is a great minimalist approach to protecting the phone.

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Nary a scratch on my 4S from the Pixelskin HD. Nor on my brother's 4S.

The soft metal on the 5 will be the same on the 5S. It will scratch, ding, dent easily. And bend.

11. funnyboy88 thread starter macrumors regular

I had a cheap eBay bumper (cheap in price, but the quality itself was pretty nice). I'm surprised you didn't have any issues with your Apple bumper because complaints are all over the net. Did you clean yours often?

https://www.google.com/search?clien...e+bumper+scratches+iphone+4&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

12. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

You need a rash guard to protect the phone from potential bumper scratches.

My Element Case came with some.

13. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

I second the idea for a wrap, i have one of my 5 right now and it negates the chance for scratched when i use a bumper.

Also, it's a good idea to take the bumper, or case in general, off the phone every so often to clean it, dust gets trapped and causes scratches. I remember when i bought my 2nd gen Touch back in 2009, i left the case on it for close to 8-9 months straight, then when i finally took i off, it looked like the iPod had been sandblasted

14. Sheldonsmith macrumors regular

Sheldonsmith

Use skid strips

Element case as well as a few other companies make plastic strips that will prevent this.... Friction against the aluminum or stainless antenna sides is going to cause scratches...