iPhone 5 button replacement, free battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macduke, Aug 20, 2015.

?

Did Apple replace your battery for free while receiving service?

1. Yes, iPhone 5 sleep/wake replacement program

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No, iPhone 5 sleep/wake replacement program

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Yes, other iPhone with unrelated to battery service

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. No, other iPhone with unrelated to battery service

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not sure

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

My wife's device is eligible for the iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake Button Replacement Program. I looked through the forums and found some people saying that as part of this service, Apple replaces the battery in the device. Many of those posts were from over a year ago. Can anyone confirm that Apple still does this? What has your experience been like? The battery life has taken a nosedive (which is understandable for an older device) but the serial number is not eligible for the separate battery replacement program. Also—she has a 16GB device. Can they just issue her a loaner device to keep in-store or does she still have to wait for the replacement?

It would be nice to not have to pay separately to have the battery replaced. My wife is holding out hope for a 4" iPhone 6C or the iPhone 7 in a smaller form factor due to reduced bezels, etc., and doesn't require bleeding edge technology like myself and many others here. Thank you for sharing your experience! I've also included a simple poll for users who quickly want to answer without leaving a response.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

They replace the whole device not just a part so you will get a refurbished phone which will look as good as new and it'll have a brand new battery inside.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I had my sleep button fixed about a year ago. At the time, they had to ship all phone to get fixed. As part of the button fix, they have to remove tha battery, and according to the Apple Store employee, apples policy is to never reinstall a used battery.

Not sure if they're still sending units out for the sleep button fix anymore. What does the website say?

Also, they gave me a loaner.

4. TheHorrorNerd macrumors regular

To clarify the process.
    If a phone qualifies for the sleep wake program it has to be sent off for repair.
    If the phone has any modifications or liquid damage it will be returned unrepaired.
    If a repair is unsuccessful, a replacement phone would be sent back.
    And yes, a battery replacement is standard for the repair.

5. macduke thread starter macrumors 604

macduke

Thanks for the responses guys! We visited the store and I didn't bring up anything about the battery and just let them do their thing. They replaced it on the spot without even a diagnostic. Fantastic service. We didn't even have to wait for one to arrive in the mail, they just gave us a "new" phone. Also the genius bar guy said the program is only good for about three more weeks so we lucked out! My wife is safe for another year until hopefully they can come out with some kind of newer 4" or reduced bezel model.