iPhone 5/c/s Case that converts Lightning to 30 pin Port

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kumquat, Oct 2, 2013.

1. kumquat macrumors regular

kumquat

Does this exist? Is anyone in the process of developing something of this nature? Is it possible to make one of the 8 pins do analog video out? Almost all Apple accessories with a dock connector are for the 30-pin port and the 8 to 30 pin adapters do not provide reliable or full functionality. Even the Apple 8 pin to HDMI adapter only sends out 720 p and does so with severe artifacting. I don't understand why nothing seems to exist to remedy the severely reduced functionality of the Lightning connector.

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It would require a D/A converter -- not just a cable or adapter.

What exactly do you need? What analog video requirements do you have where the source needs to be at a resolution higher than 720p?

3. kumquat thread starter macrumors regular

kumquat

Can you, please, explain this to me?

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The lightning doesn't have an analog audio output so if you wanted 100% compatibility with all 30-pin accessories you would need a converter built-in to convert the digital audio to analog.
    Of course if you didn't care about analog audio you wouldn't need it.
    I think almost any stereo that has USB support already supports digital audio.

5. kumquat thread starter macrumors regular

kumquat

But theoretically it actually would be possible for someone to restore that iPod out analog functionality with a converter added to the adapter?