iPhone 5 camera - displays 3:2 aspect ratio, not 4:3?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atari1356, Sep 21, 2012.

1. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

First, a disclaimer, I'm an app developer with a camera app in the app store - and obviously I would love it if you and everybody else bought my app.

That being said, I'm starting this thread as a long time forum member for serious discussion about the iPhone 5 Camera app (and got permission from Arn before posting this).

Based on screenshots, it appears that the Camera app previews photos in a 3:2 aspect ratio - but photos are saved in a 4:3 aspect ratio. So, the Camera app doesn't display the full photo that you're taking... it displays a cropped preview:

[​IMG]

Can anybody with an iPhone 5 set up check to see if there is any setting (or pinch/tap to zoom gesture?) to have it display the full 4:3 photo? I have to head to an AT&T store later to do an upgrade swap, so won't be able to check this myself for a while.

(I wrote more about this in a blog post this morning.)

2. wellok macrumors 6502

Mine is displaying the entire photo with black bars on the top and bottom. I'm not clicking anything to zoom out, it just starts that way.

Edit: Nevermind, I see what you're saying. You're right, and there's no setting.

3. cRuNcHiE, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

The 4s also cropped photos when viewing them, no idea why.
    I have the 5 and can't see any setting for overscan etc

Just did a test and on the 5 now it seems to do the opposite? E.g if you take a photo and line up something to the edge of the screen, the actual captured photo has extra pixels outside that capture .

4. atari1356 thread starter macrumors 68000

atari1356

I guess that confirms it... thanks for checking.

5. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Definitely no setting and what sucks is most of the photos are now smaller than they would be full screen on the iPhone 4/4s

6. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

I think it's good the camera does this? Incase your hand slips, or someone moves or something, there's that small space to help cover you if something were to happen.

7. oldpismo macrumors member

Same issue

I'm finding the same with my app, and it is annoying, especially as when it shows a preview it shrinks it. Have you found a way around it at all?

Thanks

Peter