Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
First, a disclaimer, I'm an app developer with a camera app in the app store - and obviously I would love it if you and everybody else bought my app.

That being said, I'm starting this thread as a long time forum member for serious discussion about the iPhone 5 Camera app (and got permission from Arn before posting this).

Based on screenshots, it appears that the Camera app previews photos in a 3:2 aspect ratio - but photos are saved in a 4:3 aspect ratio. So, the Camera app doesn't display the full photo that you're taking... it displays a cropped preview:

iphone5_camera_app.jpg

Can anybody with an iPhone 5 set up check to see if there is any setting (or pinch/tap to zoom gesture?) to have it display the full 4:3 photo? I have to head to an AT&T store later to do an upgrade swap, so won't be able to check this myself for a while.

(I wrote more about this in a blog post this morning.)

wellok

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Mine is displaying the entire photo with black bars on the top and bottom. I'm not clicking anything to zoom out, it just starts that way.

Edit: Nevermind, I see what you're saying. You're right, and there's no setting.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
The 4s also cropped photos when viewing them, no idea why.
I have the 5 and can't see any setting for overscan etc

Just did a test and on the 5 now it seems to do the opposite? E.g if you take a photo and line up something to the edge of the screen, the actual captured photo has extra pixels outside that capture .

Last edited:

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Edit: Nevermind, I see what you're saying. You're right, and there's no setting.

Just did a test and on the 5 now it seems to do the opposite? E.g if you take a photo and line up something to the edge of the screen, the actual captured photo has extra pixels outside that capture .

I guess that confirms it... thanks for checking.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
I think it's good the camera does this? Incase your hand slips, or someone moves or something, there's that small space to help cover you if something were to happen.

oldpismo

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
UK
Same issue

I'm finding the same with my app, and it is annoying, especially as when it shows a preview it shrinks it. Have you found a way around it at all?

Thanks

Peter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.