iPhone 5 Camera Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MBP13, Jul 7, 2014.

1. MBP13, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

I need your help, MacRumors!

All of a sudden after a year or two of use, my iPhone 5 will not take any pictures. The camera app will open, but it will be a blank black screen. I cannot move the little slider over to video, panoramic, etc. Also, when I try to take pictures in Instagram and Snap Chat, I also cannot take any pictures.

I have 4.3GB of space available on my 5, so photo storage isn't an issue; however, I've been getting messages lately that my phone cannot be backed up on iCloud because I don't have enough space, but clearly I do.

I'm running iOS 7.1.2.

Thank you in advance!

2. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I'd try backing up your iPhone to iTunes and restoring via iTunes. Those messages about not being able to back up to iCloud is because your iCloud is full. Unless you bought a paid data package with Apple, you have 5GB.

Restore as new and see if the issue persists. If it does, there is a hardware failure, and at that point I would recommend taking the iPhone to Apple and let them check it out.

Hope this helps!

3. MBP13 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP13

I've restored via iTunes (via backup from my iPhone and original settings) and nothing has worked. The camera still doesn't work.

I guess I'll have to make an appointment with the Genius Bar and get this fixed. I'm hoping to get the iPhone 6, but I don't want to be without a camera for a while. Any idea how much this is going to be to fix?

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I think the camera module is replacable, however if it isn't an out of warranty replacement is around $229 plus tax. If you still have AppleCare, the repair or replacement is free as long as the problem isn't caused by accidental damage.

5. MBP13 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP13

I finally got the front facing camera to work, but when switching over to the rear facing camera, the camera app freezes up and does nothing.

I'm not paying over $200 to get the camera fixed either. I'd rather wait and spend that money on a new phone instead.

6. oomgomfg macrumors newbie

Rear camera on the iPhone 5 can be replaced for around ~$40 at 3rd party repair shops, or $15-20 if you buy the part off ebay and do it yourself with an online guide.

To attach the new camera you will need to lift up the motherboard and unscrew the two philip screws securing the cover of the connector, its a fairly straightforward procedure if you are comfortable with opening your phone.