iPhone 5 camera lens rattle warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by laudern, Nov 21, 2012.

1. laudern macrumors 6502a

I know people say that the rattle in the iphone 5/4s camera is normal and that there is a floating lens or some crap like that and it will make a rattle noise. But I know of iphone's that do not make that noise.

So that means it's not entirely normal since not all phones make the rattle.

Can I go into an apple store and ask them to replace the iphone for another one because of this rattle? Has anyone here tried to do it?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Fallacy. Fallacy on all counts!

3. laudern thread starter macrumors 6502a

How is it a mistaken belief that not all iphone 4s/5 have no camera rattle?

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The fallacy is in saying that since a behaviour does not exist in one set, then that set is normal.

How do you know which of the two 'sets' is 'normal'?

But on topic: you could ask. They could say no. As long as the feature is working fine, they won't replace it.

5. laudern thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is true and that had crossed my mind. But the stigma of a rattle, drawing on prior knowledge with rattles in electronics, along with the multitude of threads based on a rattle noise as a concern and no threads which had concerns for iPhones that did not have rattle noise guided my judgement I must admit.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. But this is a luxury item with a luxurious price tag and as such I tend to expect a slightly higher level of contentment with the item. And if I could trade it in for a non rattling one, why not?

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I understand. I went into an Apple Store to see if I could get a replacement for a couple of developing chips (very very tiny) on the angled chamfer of my 5. Instead I get a speech on 'no guarantee the replacement will be more perfect', and 'your phone works, we don't do replacements based on cosmetic imperfections' and I said I paid good money for this, but I think this was recent policy to curb what I had read to be a flood of replacements for chips in the anodised band.

Much like the Samsung Lottery for the Retina Macbooks, your chances vary depending on store and the person that helps you there. I've had a quiet rattle on my 4 and now a slightly more audible rattle on my new 5. I noticed it right away, but I honestly didn't care any more about it since that first day. That is, until I read this thread :)

7. laudern thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol sorry about that. Its a White Whine problem I'm having for sure. And I kinda don't really care about it as I haven't even bothered to make a call to apple in the 2 weeks since owning it. It's just slightly annoying I guess:confused: