iPhone 5 camera noise, compared to 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DcGamer05, Oct 13, 2013.

1. DcGamer05 macrumors regular

DcGamer05

I just upgraded to an iPhone 5 from a 4s and Ive noticed in darker lighting the iphone 5 will give you a brighter picture but with much more grain. I have a bunch of pictures with my 4s and they all look superb especially outdoors. With my iPhone 5 I find the noise in the picture is quite annoying especially in lower lighting. I think it has to do with the fact that the iPhone 5 has a higher ISO than 4s/5s therefore more grain in lower light. I really find it annoying and wish there was an app to adjust that.

Did anyone notice this? Im sure its been discussed before but now that Ive just picked up two iPones 5's I'm noticing the grain especially when I take pictures indoors and its quite annoying I dont want a murky noisy picture. I really think I prefer the 4s. Or is there any chance I picked up two defective iPhone 5's?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I have to agree with you, so no, I don't think your phones are defective.

I was actually so disgusted with the pics from my 5, in ANY lighting conditions that I stopped using it and went back to using my 4S for pics.

I'm much happier with my 5s.

3. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

I think that is due to the ISO settings on the phone. Stick with the flash, it will make less grainy pictures... Or you can change the levels under camera settings if memory serves me correctly... :)

4. DcGamer05 thread starter macrumors regular

DcGamer05

Yeah its def the ISO everything is way too grainy. Very annoying indeed, makes me wish they had the 5s in stock.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The 5s camera / flash blows the 5's away. Especially with HDR that sharpens the photos.

6. DcGamer05 thread starter macrumors regular

DcGamer05

Ive even tried HDR but somehow they still seem noisy. The whole thing is just annoying, I really don't see how Apple considered this an upgrade to the 4s's camera. Im looking back on the shots with my 4s and you can actually zoom into the picture without significant pixelation and noise but the the iphone 5 the picture looks a like a big murky mess.

Every time I think its focused and ready to take the shot, it still always comes out less than stellar and not as sharp as the 4s.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Gotcha. When I have time I'll go pull up my 4s pictures and compare them to the 5. I know I was not happy with the camera on the 5.

8. Rob1109 macrumors newbie

Iphone 5S Noise

This is my first Iphone and it lives up to expectations. Except for the camera noise. I can only make comparisons to DSLRs. The shadow areas are very noisy. I'm disappointed in the lack of noise reduction either built in or as an app. And yes, noise can be reduced without loss of detail.

Best.

9. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

There are a lot of apps that may help. I always use 645Pro. It has night shot mode to decrease noise in low light conditions but you have to hold the iPhone very still due to the longer exposure.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

A better comparison would be to other phones. I've seen a few recent reviews but don't have a link to them handy. Only one or two are better than the 5s.