iPhone 5 can't pair with MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wildernessbob, Feb 4, 2014.

1. wildernessbob macrumors member

wildernessbob

i just tried to pair my new iPhone 5S with my MBP and it says the MBP is not compatible. tell me this aint so. it's an 09, but still. i specifically bought an iPhone to eliminate compatibility issues. i just want to use the fancy airdrop feature.

2. dirtnnasty macrumors member

u can't use airdrop between iOS and OSX...
    Just iOS-iOS and OSX-OSX

3. wildernessbob thread starter macrumors member

wildernessbob

That's unfortunate, and seems a bit silly. i just wanted to transfer a photo to my MBP for an email. now i have to physically connect my phone, open iPhoto, import the photo, attach it to my email, then delete the pic from iPhoto. that seems like quite an effort just to email a pic. i started the email on my MBP, so i guess next time i have to plan what device to send an email from?

4. mneblett macrumors 6502

Or send the iPhone photo as an e-mail attachment in an e-mail to yourself, and open the e-mail on your OSX machine. Then manipulate/send/whatever the photo to your heart's content, without any iPhoto involvement.

Or send the iPhone photo to your iCloud Photo Stream, and retrieve it from iCloud on your OSX machine.

OSX-to-iOS compatibility would certainly be nice, but photo transfers aren't that complicated without it.

5. wildernessbob thread starter macrumors member

wildernessbob

i guess i think of Apple as making things do stuff the way you think it should be done. never thought of the icloud thing.
    Thanks

6. simonsi, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Set up Photostream under iCloud on both devices, really easy to have all pics taken on the phone automatically upload and appear on the MBP under iPhoto or Aperture a few secs/mins later....

Or install DeskConnect on both and use that to send single items....

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

((side note)) I wonder if this is more with the carrier than Apple. Some of the carriers have been blocking that feature on a lot of phones. I actually remember using my old flip phone on my Mac to make calls and transfer data via bluetooth. Things changed when the iPHone came out. Apple made it so that you have to go through iTunes. No more syncing directly from Address Book.

Right now you can only use AirDrop Mac to mac, iOS device to iOS Device.

You don't have to use iPhoto to save your images. You can use Image capture and Preview.

8. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

I too tried to do it this way before finally realizing airdrop is ios to ios only and osx to osx only, and that really bothers me. Really seems off that this function isn't incorporated into the apple ecosystem entirely. I imagine they'll add this function at some point.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

Odd indeed.
    The iCloud sync only works with internet connectivity while airdrop would also work via bluetooth.
    Nevertheless airdrop is atrociously slow either way.
    If you got lots to transfer then external drives are the only intelligent solution.

10. SBA macrumors member

Download Dropbox onto your phone, turn on camera uploads, install Dropbox on your Mac, navigate to the camera uploads folder on your Mac - there are your photos!

"Syncing" phones with computers is kind of a thing of the past.

11. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Or just email it to yourself. Works just as well.

12. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

As above ideas, I have usually just Emailed or iMsg'd the Pics I have taken with my iPhone 5s.. Easy enough for me, unlimited Data and certainly only seconds to do..

I have not synced my Photos via iCloud as I take a bunch for general info, at work and play both, and really don't need them to ALL go that route..

13. Polyphonie macrumors member

Polyphonie