Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EdwardSung

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Has anyone found iPhone 5 cases for sale at any brick 'n' mortar retail stores? I'd love to have a cheap one for temporary use when the phone arrives, and at this point it's probably too late to rely on online vendors (without paying 2-day/overnight shipping). Thanks for any tips.

dgstan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Has anyone found iPhone 5 cases for sale at any brick 'n' mortar retail stores? I'd love to have a cheap one for temporary use when the phone arrives, and at this point it's probably too late to rely on online vendors (without paying 2-day/overnight shipping). Thanks for any tips.
I bought two bumpers from Monoprice and with what they call "Norco Next Day Shipping", the total was $15 (~$5 was the shipping). I don't know if the "Norco" thing is nationwide or just a local deal (Norco is a city near their warehouse in Rancho Cucamonga).

There's also 10% off codes for Monoprice floating around, FWIW.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=11213&cs_id=1083111&p_id=9772&seq=1&format=2

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011

Just got my otterbox defender from Verizon wireless. Ordered Monday, delivered today.. They have free 2 day FedEx on accessories...

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I got the 4 and 4s on release day and headed to Best Buy.

They had the 4 cases available the day before.
Not sure about the 5.
I will visit BB on Thursday.

How can they not have it? I guess with the so called secrecy, they gave the details to the case mfgers late.

EdwardSung

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Thanks for the info, guys. I ended up buying a couple of the cheap cases from Monoprice (with 10% off coupon code CATALOG12 -- saved NINETY FIVE CENTS YEAAAHHHHH) as temporary cases until there's more of a selection.

TBONE72

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
I got the 4 and 4s on release day and headed to Best Buy.

They had the 4 cases available the day before.
Not sure about the 5.
I will visit BB on Thursday.

How can they not have it? I guess with the so called secrecy, they gave the details to the case mfgers late.

I was at my local BB today and they had the RocketFish brand iPhone 5 cases on the floor but would not sell any of them to me. I even asked the manager and he said nope, not until Friday.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I was at my local BB today and they had the RocketFish brand iPhone 5 cases on the floor but would not sell any of them to me. I even asked the manager and he said nope, not until Friday.

And Best Buy wonders why they're having to close stores. They won't price match competitors online (Frys does), their customer service is terrible, and they do things like this where for absolutely no reason they DISPLAY a product and for no reason restrict the sale of it. Absurd.

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I've pre-ordered the iP5 and it looks as if I won't be able to get some protection on it from day one. My only other launch day Apple device was my 3GS, however since it had the same form factor as the 3G there where no issues finding cases for it.

I've pre-ordered an OtterBox Commuter which ships out on Friday (same day the phone arrives). I'm thinking I'll leave that protective film on the phone until the case delivers, and since the headphone jack is on the bottom no ports should be blocked by the film.

I was hoping to find a decent case by Friday and cancel my OB pre-order.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL

Wow. That's one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard. What could they possibly hope to gain by doing that? Generate more foot traffic for launch day? Maybe, but those folks will already have arranged to get their phones, fellas. They're probably not your average casual shoppers. Sheesh.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Wow. That's one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard. What could they possibly hope to gain by doing that? Generate more foot traffic for launch day? Maybe, but those folks will already have arranged to get their phones, fellas. They're probably not your average casual shoppers. Sheesh.

Well, to be fair to Best Buy.
They want to sell their limited case stock to the customers buying iPhones from them on Friday.
They probably make the most money on accessories, you know it ain't on the phone.

Still, they shouldn't put them out if they don't intend to sell them.

I'll stop by on Friday and see what they have.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
I found them at Target last night! And apparently according to other people their Targets said they would come in Thursday. Maybe mine just put them out early. :p

I am thinking most big box stores will put them out a day before so you can have one :)

kds786

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Tennessee
I called Best Buy yesterday and they said, yes, they would have cases and screen protectors on Friday if not before.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
I found them at Target last night! And apparently according to other people their Targets said they would come in Thursday. Maybe mine just put them out early. :p

I am thinking most big box stores will put them out a day before so you can have one :)

Damn, and I was totally at my SuperTarget last night, too! I might check 'em tonight, just in case. Thanks for the tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.