Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msasgs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
on my 3rd case for iphone 5 all seem to have the same bug. touchscreen is losing responsivness to touch. then it will click by itself at randon times. tried a skech slide case. a speck case and now incipio case. all seem to have triggered this issue. Anyone else having issues? I think this is also why after 2 weeks we have yet to see apple sell a case. I think this new screen is so sensitve cases effect the use. why else apple not selling cases or making a bumper to over charge us for. they still sell cases for 4 and 4s. never has apple waited this long to sell a case for an iPhone. why would they lose out on the sales of cases if there was not an issue.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Paranoid much?
I never have this issue with my i5.
So you're saying your screen doesnt respond because of a case?
That doesnt make any sense.
I have a bumper case for my i5 bought on ebay and it works and feels great.
$6 with free shipping was well worth it IMO.

Attachments

• $T2eC16NHJHwE9n8ig+fBBQY3(IPWmQ~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16NHJHwE9n8ig+fBBQY3(IPWmQ~~60_57.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 357

msasgs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Yes when screen is clicking on right when I touch the left. When I remove case it works fine

softgoodsint

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Really? Paranoia (or coverup?).

In Reply to "Applejuiced" post of Oct 5, 2012, 10:14 PM:
I've been able to suppress the urge to reply with "condescending much?" (since you threw down the original 'gauntlet', with your initial insult, insulating this was just "paranoia"), so let me elevate this to a higher plane: just because you've not experienced personally this, doesn't mean it's not a considerable problem for those who are experiencing it, (obviously) me included! To state it clearly, it's a "throw the thing in the trash" level problem. But I'm so very happy for you that you've not experienced it.

So please try to get off the "high horse" and listen to those who genuinely have a major problem (major defined as being the phone is junked, and must be replaced), see my post to 'msasgs' (if he hasn't already trashed the iPhone and bought a Droid out of understandable frustration).

Obviously, I have this same problem, three cases all with the same symptom, same as 'msasgs' is having. This wide spread issue will cost Apple as this gets out.

SO when I press the "cancel" button, instead it will randomly dials someone, (sometimes my ex-wife - WTF); when I type the letter "B", the letter "U" appears (just two examples), but THEN I CAREFULLY remove the case (which ever one I have on), and VOILA it works fine again! SO OK, it's not the case, IT'S a DEFECTIVE TOIUCH SCREEN, DUH!

How can that be, you may ask: well the touch screen is electronics, are you going to say that something electronic can not possibly fail (just because it was made by Apple, oops, I mean a factory in China? Hummm, I didn't think so (if you answered yes, let me ask if you think the WTC was NOT hit by 747's, OK, thought so).

SO yes, obviously, Mr. msasgs and I are unfortunate victims of touch screen failure, please don't insult the "newbies" who are trying to master this technology, or those of us Cal Tech EE's who might have a slightly better grasp of such minutia.

Best Regards

softgoodsint

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Reply to "msasgs" post of Oct 5, 2012 08:55 PM:
Be reassured you are not alone. I have had my iPhone for a month now and it will spend hours of "good behavior" then out of the blue, generally in important moments, go berserk, exactly like you describe.

That is it will randomly press buttons, usually when I press a different button, but it will press a randomly WRONG button, usually about an inch or two away, I press "Cancel" when looking at contacts, and it will instead dial a randomly selected entry (my ex-wife often, curiously), I press a word on the editing screen, deciding I'm being to blunt in a criticism of my boss or his client, and instead it hits send (yikes)! I hit cancel, it hits delete.

So you get the idea and have apparently experienced similar. I also have had three cases (doesn't matter), a Griffin Military (sucked) and the other two being Otter's (Survivor is excellent - love it ^3). So despite empirical evidence to suggest otherwise, the cases are innocent in this "smoking gun" (my distain for the Griffin is for different reasons, the belt clip disintegrated).

THE PROBLEM IS THE SCREEN ITSELF! Forgive me if I sound so certain, I can't prove it, except with logic: Proof: These cases are widely used, and certainly would have raised a larger population of complaints if they were at the 'toot cause' of this; between the two of us, we have five different manufacturers of cases (I think that's the count) and yet all are exhibiting the same symptom; it immediately resolves ONLY when the case is removed (I do so extremely carefully, just to avoid any disturbance "in the force" (pun intended), to be sure it's only the case removal, not something I press during the removal);

OK, so it does defy the "what you'd expect" scenario, I'm going to buy a replacement screen (I do all sorts of micro-electonics repairs, including touch screens, on units costing thousands of $ - I'm not so smug as to say it will be a piece of cake, but I'm confident in a successful outcome). Obviously, I'd let you know the outcome, I don't want to trash the phone, as I'm sure it will respond to treatment. Keep the faith. This is an incredible phone, it works fine for me 95% of the time, I just have to be quick to remove the case when it pukes, seems to "revive" it for an hour or more when I do. (OK, that's weird).
Best Regards

pluviophile13

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
$150 spent on cases.....dammit!

I, too, am having an issue with a glitchy touchscreen when my 5S is in it's case. I switched from a $50 OtterBox DEFENDER case to a $100 Lifeproof NUUD case, thinking that the issue may lie within the built-in screen protector which is part of the OtterBox design. I spent a fearful few days walking around with a uncased iPhone, which was nerve wracking, but during which time my touchscreen worked perfectly. Upon inquiry of what was the best rated case I purchased the Lifeproof model that DID NOT have the built-in protector, but an adhesive film type. After my phone was safely encased again, it worked just fine for the first day, and I thought "Problem solved!" Then...on day two...glitch, glitch, glitchy, glitch-glitch! GRRRRArghh!

Headed back to the AT&T store tomorrow to hash it out with staff about refunding the $100 I shelled out for the useless case upgrade when what I needed was a replacement phone. I'm hoping Apple takes care of me as a valued customer & replaces my faulty phone or touchscreen without cost. (yeaaaah, riiight) UBER frustrating.

Rlb_1984

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2017
on my 3rd case for iphone 5 all seem to have the same bug. touchscreen is losing responsivness to touch. then it will click by itself at randon times. tried a skech slide case. a speck case and now incipio case. all seem to have triggered this issue. Anyone else having issues? I think this is also why after 2 weeks we have yet to see apple sell a case. I think this new screen is so sensitve cases effect the use. why else apple not selling cases or making a bumper to over charge us for. they still sell cases for 4 and 4s. never has apple waited this long to sell a case for an iPhone. why would they lose out on the sales of cases if there was not an issue.
[doublepost=1498782566][/doublepost]

Ok had the same issue removed my credit cards and visa from the case and it works amazing now!!! I reset my phone 3 times just to find out on my own that it was my cards

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
[doublepost=1498782566][/doublepost]

Ok had the same issue removed my credit cards and visa from the case and it works amazing now!!! I reset my phone 3 times just to find out on my own that it was my cards
Hopefully the issue has been rectified 5 years later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.