iPhone 5 Cases: PROTECTION vs LOOKS (Decision Time)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ohmygoodness, Mar 8, 2013.

1. ohmygoodness macrumors newbie

As I was ordering my new case last week, I was debating whether I should get a super protective case or just a regular stylish case.
    Spending hours on Amazon.com trying to find the right item, I came across this item which at first seemed very fashionable, but as I read through the descriptions and saw more pictures, it seemed to do a decent job in protection. Here's the case that I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMZYWH4

As of now, I'm highly satisfied with the case. And also its much cheaper than the protective cases that cost way over the budget.

What do you guys prefer?
    1. A Super-Protective case (i.e. LifeProof Case)
    2. A reliable but stylish case (i.e. Kalaideng ENGLAND Series)
    3. Any case as long as it looks good

Let me hear your opinions so I can decide whether to get another case for my phone or not!
    And I'll attach some pictures of the new case that I bought just incase anyone's interested..

[​IMG]

2. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Well, when it comes right down to it, I would say protection should be at the top of your priorities when it comes to a case choice.

I say this because a iPhone 5 replacement screen is like $260.00:eek: that does not even take into account the labor or the time that you are without your iPhone.

I do computer work for a living and my recommendation is go with a case that will protect your iPhone from "Life" and it's little mishaps after all, we are all human and no matter how hard you try to pamper your iPhone sh**t happens and one little mishap is all it takes and you are calling a guy like me to fix your screen.

The Lifeproof Fre - I have seen a real huge bag of complaints about that case on the forum here and the case has been through like 6 revisions so there must be worth and merit in the numerous complaints that you see littered all over the forum.

I actually just got my iPhone 5 and I bought a Otterbox defender for it and I can tell you that despite my negative observations on where the defender series has gone in quality since the Defender Case that I had my 3GS in for 3 years, this case is built very well but, my only gripe is that the cutout for the Front Camera/ear piece and back camera Cutout is completely open without any protection from a screen protector or anything.

I have no idea why this has been executed this way in the design as it completely defeats the purpose of protecting your iPhone with a 360 degree of protection against the elements.

No doubt I will be looking to modify this so that there is a protective film covering these exposed elements.

The Armor Series - well that's a no go as that thing looks like a tank and is way to big!

I considered the Lifeproof Case but I'm pretty hard of hearing these days from working construction most of my life so the Sound issue is a major factor for me to consider when choosing a case and prior experience with owning a iPhone 3GS for 3 years is that the Volume on the iPhone (even still) could be more accommodating volume wise for hearing impaired people like me ...Oh well.

To be honest, the iPhone 5 Case line up across all manufactures leaves a hell of a lot to be desired in general and there really is not much that I would consider worthy of buying or even considering for that matter.

A real nice Combo is you would like a very Aesthetically Pleasing and Decent protection for your iPhone 5 would be a TWIG Case coupled with the Spiegen GLASS Tr

Yes they will work together just fine

TWIG CASES >> http://www.twigcase.com/

SPIEGEN GLASS Tr >>> http://www.spigen.com/iphone-5-screen-protector-glas-tr-premium-tempered-glass-series.html

Or get an OtterBox Defender http://www.otterbox.com/apple-new-iphone-5-cases/apple-new-iphone-5-cases,default,sc.html

3. ohmygoodness thread starter macrumors newbie

I just feel like there's no point of buying such a good looking phone if you're gonna cover it up with a big fat case.

4. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

actually in my opinion, the iphone 5 is too dainty to begin with. perhaps if your a chick this is a non issue and women are not logical to begin with:D

5. ohmygoodness thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL I wish I had the guts to carry my iphone around naked

6. list33 macrumors newbie

7. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

I want protection but don't want to add too much bulk that takes away from the beauty of the phone. Otterboxes and all those major defenders are awesome but goodness are they bulky and just not pleasing to the eye. I rather have a simple reliable case, slim, and looks nice. It might not be the absolute protection but better than nothing.

8. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

9. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

Those twig cases are pretty cool looking. Next time I feel like getting a new one might have to give these a try. How do they feel? Do you feel the wood well or is it coated enough you don't really feel the texture?

10. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Don't honestly know but I can tell you this, I was a wood worker for 17 1/2 years and their construction method will be superior to solid wood which will equal 10 times more durable and 50 times more stable. Not to mention that TWIGS method is ECO Friendly and certified by the Rain Forest Alliance.

The Owner used to be a Luthier (made guitars) so the quality I assure you is there in the construction process.:)

I just got my iPhone 5 and bought a OtterBox Defender because it was the best choice locally and I needed protection ASAP but, I will be getting a TWIG Case with the Glass TR down the road.

11. ohmygoodness thread starter macrumors newbie

I heard these type of bumpers bring down iphone signal rate, so they're very unpopular among the users

12. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I'll take protection. But not stupidly excessive protection like an OB defender.

13. ohmygoodness thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I see. I'm kinda half and half on this issue. I say protection and looks both are equal for me

14. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Decision time has come and gone what di you end up going with or you haven't?:confused:

15. bluebayou macrumors newbie

Gonna go for the middle ground here, but I definitely would like a reliable but stylish case. I might even lean a bit more towards style than reliability, maybe 40% reliability-60% aesthetics.

16. ohmygoodness thread starter macrumors newbie

I went ahead and stuck with the Kalaideng England Series! I love it, I'm just a bit surprised that its not one of those popular famous products.

17. SoLongAndroid macrumors member

Skin only. Just like going naked, but scratch protection.

18. Mellisaray macrumors regular

i prefer like my leather case, it is durable and nice,:p

19. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I honestly like as little "stuff" as possible blocking the great looks of the iPhone. That said, this thing definitely needs some sort of protection. I've tried skins from Sticker Boy which weren't bad, but they didn't cover the chamfers. Plus they were a pain in the ass to put on.

I recently picked up the Caudabe Veil which I have to say is pretty awesome. It seems a lot like the Desmay Slight, but without humongous branding. We'll see how it holds up over time, but so far I'm impressed. http://www.caudabe.com/collections/iphone-5-accessories/products/the-veil-frost

20. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Ha. How would you answer this question: what is the perfect shirt/pants or dress to wear for ALL occasions and ALL seasons of the year?

Not going to find the answer.

Might as well accept that you need and always want different cases or change cases.

From naked to moderate to heavy duty, and coupled with styles, if you're in this forum, you'll be changing cases.

Just accept that, get cases that can be removed without breaking, and life will be more enjoyable and fun. Don't stress about changing it up.

If you're lucky you may get down to 4 cases that cover your range of needs and styles.

21. MrThompsonR, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013

MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

Rec'd/ installed today... "Cleave" found on ebay for $15.00 US. Used with a Spigen GlasTR/ Aluminum Home button and a BodyGuardz Carbon Fiber rear/ side skin... Kinda sexy metal(bare Aluminum/ black painted) ergo bumper...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]