iPhone 5 cellular issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacBH928, Jul 16, 2014.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Hello,

I have iphone 5 and recently it has been acting weird. When I go to cellular in the settings the settings app will crash, always. I can't access that part of the settings.

Then my cellular signal has be constantly dropping I often get a status saying "Searching..." then I would get 4 dots for signal strength then it will drop to 1 dot, then full again but I do not get the 3G symbol. Eventually it will work, but this didn't use to happen for the past year and a half since I have been using this phone.

Another issue is the wifi drops, wifi will constantly drop and I often switch on and off the wifi for it to connect again.

I am running latest iOS release. I did restart the phone and did the "forget this network" trick. No use.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Try a reset of your network settings

Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings

3. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

If you find a fix please post it here. If the network reset works count yourself among the lucky ones.

4. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Are you on AT&T? They've been a mess lately here in the Rockies. I'm wondering if they're working on LTE upgrades.

5. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Nope resetting didn't work. Is this a problem with my carrier or with my iphone? this possibly didn't start happening until I updated it to 7.1.2 .

the wifi drops are so annoying

6. allisonfranz macrumors member

Good idea

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

You might try restoring the phone perhaps.

8. marvinroy macrumors newbie

Follow these steps. After performing each step, please test to see if the issue is resolved.
    1. Toggle airplane mode: Turn airplane mode on, wait three seconds, and then turn off again.
    2. Restart your iPhone.
    3. Make sure that your software is up to date.
    4. Remove the SIM Card and reinsert it. Allow the iPhone to acquire the network again.
    5. If your SIM card has SIM PIN enabled, try turning it off: Tap Settings > Phone > SIM PIN.
    6. Reset network settings: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
    7. Restore the iPhone as new.
    8. Contact your carrier to determine why the issue is occurring.

9. cynics macrumors G3

First thing I would try since it won't effect anything else is a soft reset (home + power buttons until you see the Apple logo).

See how those problems are then.

If no change and if you have the time is restore the phone via iTunes then use an iCloud backup to restore. This way you'll get a fresh version iOS with little effect how you've been using the phone.

Restoring as new would be the best but the biggest pita.

If the wifi problem is still there after that it's likely a hardware problem.

10. MacBH928, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Its getting ridicoulous . Almost whenever I leave the house, the signal automatically drops. I tried everything marvinroy suggested except restoring as new.

I will do that and I hope it works. Will it work though if I restore my phone as new then restore from backup?

Edit: I reset the phone then restored the phone from backup. But the Cellular settings still crashes... what do I do?

11. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Don't use your backup. That could be where the issue is. If the backup has a corrupt file then restoring your phone will effectively do nothing to fix the issue.

12. MacBH928, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Ok, so if I do not restore from back up, do I just sync?

What will I be losing?

13. astro187 macrumors newbie

So was this ever resolved? I've been having the exact same issue for the last 2 days.

14. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

No but it happens less often. The only thing that I didn't try is to reset my iphone and then just sync instead of restoring from backup, because I do not want to lose my settings