iPhone 5 change for the worst

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Joybulb, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

What in your mind would apple have to change on the iPhone 5 to make you say "no thanks, I'll keep my 4"

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

It would take a lot. Less battery life or storage. Or a plastic back.

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Outside of lowering capacity (to encourage iCloud use) or either shrinking (or excessively increasing 5"+) the display, I don't see how they could do anything that would make people not want to upgrade.

It's more likely that there won't be enough of a change to make people want to upgrade rather than some sort of downgrade.

4. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

If it looked like the iPhone 4.
    I would then say "no thanks Apple"

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

My Feeling Exactly

I really can't see how they could cram too many more features into an already near perfect device. I guess a slightly larger...Maybe wider screen would improve stuff a little, but we are used to pinch and expand anyway.

What might put me off is if the newbie becomes too much longer. It's not the smallest phone in the world now.

Tabbed browsing we know about, but unless Apple have a huge trick up their sleeves I think most of the changes will be of a cosmetic nature, apart from the already rumoured camera improvement. It would take a lot for me not to buy one, but I won't be first in line for a couple of reasons. One: I'd rather wait until any bugs are addressed before i buy mine, and two: I've just bought a MBA with ssd and thunderbolt kit so I'm going to have to save up. Might be January before I get mine unless Santa brings me one (which I doubt) :)

6. RyanRKips macrumors newbie

RyanRKips

The same design as the current iPhone 4. If the design is the same and only the camera and processor has been updated, no thanks. Honestly, how do we even know for sure they are going to release the iPhone 5 in October? What is the possibility they announce an economical friendly iPhone 4S? The iPhone 5 could possibly wait until June considering the iPhone 4 is still selling at a great rate. I am afraid that this possible nightmare will become reality :mad:

7. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

If it looks like iPhone 4, not upgrading. Not spending $200 on a minor upgrade.

9. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

If it does not have a 4 inch screen, then I'll pass. All other factors are not important.

10. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

So... new processor, more memory, and a new, better camera would only count as a "minor upgrade" to you?

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

12. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Uhhh yeah, if an iPhone 4 can run iOS 5 perfectly, and that new hardware (by the way, there's no indication of more memory or storage, and we still don't know exact camera specs) is largely wasted, I'd call that a minor upgrade.

13. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

IOS 5 on it's own is better than whats on the iphone 4 now anyway...so if you have a 4 it will still feel like a new phone.

14. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

I would like more memory. A5 by itself is okay. I have 32 gb and it is practically full. Sure, I can delete apps I don't use anymore and can re-download later. However, this is not quite enough unless you can save progress. For example, If I delete a game that I did not finish, then I would have to replay the levels. I think 64 gig is the sweet spot for me. Other features would be added bonus: 4 inch screen, redesign, better camera, retina plus (better color saturation).

15. Joybulb thread starter macrumors regular

Joybulb

I'm concerned that ios5 will be sluggish on ip4. I just have an iPod touch right now and it is super sluggish, choppy with certain apps. Always freezing with Facebook, especially when I wake up in the morning and try to check Facebook.

16. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I've been running all the betas on my iPhone 4 and it runs wonderfully. It actually feels smoother than iOS 4, so there's nothing to worry about! ;)

17. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Already saying "no thanks, I'll keep my 4", regardless of what changes are made. I'm mid-contract and my iPhone 4 handles everything I need it to do just great. I figure the next version after this will be more worthwhile as it's far more likely to have LTE than whatever comes out next month.

18. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Since I don't have an iPhone, I'll be getting the new one when it's released regardless.

19. absynth macrumors regular

if it's screen is not centered and it has a teardrop shape like both have been suggested in the leaked design document it's no thanks for me.

I would love an ipad 2 type of iphone with a metal back and tapered edges, that looks just sexy. But the perfect symmetry is what i always loved about apple's designs. Call me crazy but looks are important to me :eek:

20. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

A plastic back.

Teardrop isn't great.

I am not a fan of the elongated home button.

21. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

It's not what they change, but what they won't. No thanks if they keep the undersized 3.5" screen.

22. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Not including LTE. But then again that's a given that the iP5 will not feature it so I'll keep my 4.

23. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Bigger screen or bust.

If Apple comes out with the same 3.5 inch screen then theres a real chance that some monster Android phone could sweep me off my feet...

p.s. absolutely HATE the idea of the teardrop design

24. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Doesn't teardrop pose issues for those holding iPhone in landscape orientation?

25. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Since I don't currently have an iPhone, I will most likely be getting the iPhone 5 regardless of what it brings. HOWEVER, before I buy, I will definitely be goig to an Apple store to test it out and see if I actually like it before I jump the gun and purchase it. If I don't, then I'll be walking out with an iPhone 4. If I like it, I will be walking out with an iPhone 5.