iphone 5 charges when plugged in but iTunes won't recognize an iPhone is plugged

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by audirs5, Dec 13, 2015.

1. audirs5 macrumors 6502

So, this just started happening today.. iPhone is running latest OS and so is iTunes........

I plug it into my mac, the phone charges but iTunes won't recognize it.. thoughts?

2. eric3312 macrumors 6502

I'm assuming that iTunes on this computer did recognize this device at one point? Is that correct?

Which Mac do you have, just out of curiosity?

Have you made any changes to the computer recently? (added security software, updated drivers, etc.)

Without knowing more detail, here are some things you can try:

1. Have you rebooted your phone and computer yet? If not, I would do this first. You'd be surprised how many issues this actually fixes. You'll be frustrated with yourself if you spend hours on troubleshooting, only to find out a simple reboot does the trick.

2. Does your device "trust" the computer? Steps:
    • Plug the phone into the computer and open iTunes
    • Make sure the computer at least recognizes the device (look for the charging indicator as you already mentioned)
    • Unlock your phone (swipe to unlock, type in passcode, or Touch ID)
    • You will get a prompt on the phone that says "Trust This Computer?"....tap on "Trust"
    **Your iPhone should be recognized by iTunes now.**

3. I would say check your USB connections, but it sounds like the computer is recognizing the device. You could try a different USB port on the computer, or a different cable. I always recommend using the official Apple USB cable..I've seen problems with those generic, 3-dollar, Walmart specials.

4. Uninstall iTunes and perform a fresh install of the latest version.

Those are some things you can try. Let me know if you have questions or if this helps you. If not, there are some other things we can do. I hope it does help. Have a Merry Christmas.