iPhone 5 charging but not syncing with iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Styopa, May 22, 2013.

1. Styopa macrumors newbie

Have searched thru the posts and have done practically everything I could find and suggested (inlcuding upgrading, a full reinstall of itunes and a simple reset of iphone (vs a restore which I cannot do as phone doesn't show in devices) . .but still no go . .

This is also happening with my wife's iphone 5 so this is not personal to my phone.

My Ipad2 works and syncs fine!! . .only the new iphone 5s do not sync!!

Please Help!!

2. spiegel9 macrumors newbie

have you check "apple mobile device" started?

1. excute services.msc
    2. find 'apple mobile device'
    3. if 'apple mobile device' stopped, press the restart button

3. Styopa thread starter macrumors newbie

If by start apple mobile device you mean this procedure: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1747 . .

then Yes I did.

I shut down and restarted machine after this and still no connection . .

4. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

What computer do you have and what OS is installed? And also have you run all the system update?

5. Styopa thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro, 10.6.8

Did a full software update (incl iTunes)

Note: iPhone does not have latest IOS . .partly as I cannot connect to iTunes
    Note2: iPhone connected a few days ago and it just stopped.

6. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Some things that come to mind you can try: restarting your Mac, testing with another user account, seeing if image capture recognizes the iPhone, using another USB port and testing with another computer. Let me know the results.

7. Styopa thread starter macrumors newbie

Other than another computer (which I didnt have) and image capture, I tried them all and still nothing.

Just tried image capture and nothing as well, the iPhone still charges but not connecting.

**Note that this is not the only iPhone not to work, my wifes new phone is also charges but not recognized. Just in case i retried my Ipad and that connects fine**

8. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

You mentioned that you can't update iOS because you can't connect to iTunes. You actually don't need iTunes to update. On your phone go to: Settings > General > Software Update.

9. Styopa thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point. Updated IOS to latest . and . . . . still not working ;o((

10. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

At this point call AppleCare and then post back with what they said about it. And just to confirm, you're running 10.6.8 and not 10.5.8 right?

11. Styopa thread starter macrumors newbie

12. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

If you can test on another computer and also test image capture that would reveal more.

13. Styopa thread starter macrumors newbie

OK on other computer
    have already tried the image capture - and nothing

14. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Okay so this tells me that the issue itself is with the computer. Have you tried creating a brand new test user account? Also, do you have a USB hub connected or any other USB devices?