iPhone 5 charging docks?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Cryra, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Cryra macrumors newbie

Cryra

I'm after a charging dock for the iPhone 5, however, there seems to be quite the shortage at the moment.

No good news in the areas of apple deciding not to produce them, the recent news on scams and the only viable kick starter not scheduled to take effect until march.

Anyone else after a charging dock and having trouble?

2. Boyterb macrumors newbie

Check this one out. I make a few different styles.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=160916187911&index=7&nav=SEARCH&nid=97127796500

3. sven31 macrumors newbie

check out on ilounge, they have some variety... hope u'll find one...

4. buddybd macrumors 6502

5. sven3 macrumors newbie

sven3

6. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Nice!
    But so is the price! :eek:
    Especially if you need several.

7. WuMyster macrumors regular

Thanks for linking the elavation dock. Hopefully they ship to the UK for a reasonable price.

8. Smithwicks macrumors regular

9. Johnnyiphone5 macrumors member

My thoughts exactly. I got a cheaper one waiting for elevation from Braeburn.

I may take the plunge. It is NICE. How long is shipping.

10. animatedude macrumors 65816

it's alright but i want something i carry with me everywhere like the iPhone 4 dock.....

11. icemanzzz macrumors member

How is the Braeburn? Does it work with a case on?

12. Bear87 macrumors newbie

The elevation dock looks great. However, I refuse to pay 90 dollars + shipping for a dock. 90 dollars for a dock:confused:

13. Sora macrumors 6502

Sora

The divide between quality and cost is measured by value. You may not perceive value in this $90 dock, but for others, the frustration of dealing with a $24 dock made of plastic that's light as a feather, and makes docking/undocking a task, is worth the value of $90.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqpf2OwYNIk

As an owner of the Elevation dock, it's sturdy, has weight to facilitate easy docking/undocking. Can be used with a case on - just ordered the Sector 5 Element Case (will test to see if it can be used with this case as well). It doesn't move. That to me was very important.

If anyone has personal experience with the Belkin Dock, Braeburn or others please post. The more information the better.

14. linds15 macrumors 6502a

i ordered the elevation dock simply because i need a dock, and they have one of the few options. regardless of what these 25$ docks all are, id probably go through a few of them with frustration, now i'll have one thats a solidly built, quality piece.

i also am crazy about how i organize my desk and need a dock for the phone, hate having that wire hanging around

15. Bear87 macrumors newbie

I know, you are probably right. I know:eek: But now I still can't find 85 dollars for a dock somewhere Lol. I really want it but for me in Holland it will be 85 + 20 shipping + 20 import tax + 35 tax.

Hope it will be on sale sometime, I really want it!

16. Cryra thread starter macrumors newbie

Cryra

I wish the Belkin dock was black to match the phone. Would of brought it, as for the elevation dock? I'm a student and can't afford to spend 70 odd quid on a dock.

17. Smigit macrumors regular

Note that that only applies to the 4/4S 30-pin adapter. The iPhone 5 model (or the adapter upgrade) require you to purchase the Apple Lightening cable separately. Since it uses the Apple cable, it isn't low friction.

I doubt it requires much force, but in a comment on their Kickstarter page in the past 24 hours they did say the 5 needs a finger to hold the dock down while undocking, so it's not a huge advantage in that regard over any other dock.Some won't see it as a big disadvantage either...but the low friction connector was one of the main selling points of this dock.

Still, build quality is nice. Just don't forget to add the price of a lightening cable.

18. animatedude macrumors 65816

19. Smigit macrumors regular

http://www.elevationlab.com/

Might be a couple of weeks before shipping (see http://www.elevationlab.com/pages/shipping)

Theres an adapter for existing owners for sale too which as per my post above, allows you to use an existing lightening cable with it (same as the dock if purchased for an iPhone 5 from the outset...both use existing cables you must supply that the phone will directly connect into).

20. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Yes, it works with a case on or off and is priced right.
    Supposedly they are coming out with a pro version from what I heard.
    I love the fact that it makes the sound LOUDER!
    You supply your own cable.

21. Zeni Xeni macrumors newbie

I'm not affiliated with this company, but the dock I'm looking forward to is this one on Kickstarter. They call it: "Complete Dock"

It solves the problem I have with docks that are designated for one device. Looks like it works with all iPads, iPhones, and even non-Apple devices by switching the cable within the dock. True future proofing.

Seems like they added a "Fine Dock" specifically for the iPhone 5. How come other companies haven't made simple docks functional? The dock amplifies the speakers.

The Dock+ is also impressive, but it's Lightning only. Dock+ is made from steel while the Complete Dock is made out of aluminum.

22. blugel macrumors member

I just put down for the FineDock in black. Hoping the project gets enough funding! It needs more word-of-mouth since there's no Facebook page attached to it (unlike the Dock+, which I also like, but having to wait until March? No thanks).