iPhone 5 charging/not charging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ProjectManager101, Aug 4, 2015.

1. ProjectManager101 Suspended

ProjectManager101

Hi guys

I have my iPhone 5 and since 3 months ago started to have problem charging, like a bad wiring at the port. I change cables and stuff and it started to charge ok for a month and the started to do the same on/off stuff. It was 5 days ago when I saw one of my co workers having the same problem with his iPhone 5, and then I started to ask everybody and everyone with an iPhone 5 was having the same issue at same time.

It seems like Apple has programmed all the iPhone 5s to show problems when charging so people would go a buy a new iPhone. This is a software created problem by Apple, it is not hardware because it is not possible that 4 iPhone 5 started to have the same problem at same time even all of them have been used differently.

Does anybody has that problem when charging?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I do not think that Apple has "programmed" in a charging problem at a certain time to get you to buy a new watch.

If you have changed cables it could also be some dust or debris in the charging post at the bottom of your phone. If you carry your phone in your pocket, I would bet on this being the problem and is quite common for you pocket folks. A tooth pick carefully applies can empty this small port and you will be surprised how much can be in there. Other use compressed air but I do not like because it can force dust into other areas.

Other possibilities includes a defective charging port, bad charging brick or other hardware problem. Check for dust first then insert the cable to see it the "bolt" comes on. Try wiggling it a bit to see if the bolt goes on and off, it should not.

If all else fail you might need to have the Apple store take a look at it. The 5S is a darn good phone and should not need replacing unless you are ready to do so.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My iPhone 5 does not have this issue at all. It's been charging just fine since September 21, 2012. In fact, it's at home right now connected to my PowerMac G4 and fully charged.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Basically, the lightning port has proven to be a really ****** design.

It's been out for 3 years and in that time I've had 3 iPhones with a lightning port and 2 of those 3 phones went bad after one year because the lighting port stopped working in exactly the way you're describing.

I don't think Apple programmed them to fail on purpose, but the end result is the same. If you've had this iPhone 5 since they first came out then you've had better luck with them lasting than I have!

5. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I was having issues charging my iPhone 5 about a year ago, a launch day phone, and was all set to go to Apple to see if i could sort something then it was suggested to give the lightening port a clean with a paper clip or similar. Removed some big lumps of pocket fluff and not had a problem since.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Full disclosure: This is my third iPhone 5. The second one was a replacement for a mic problem two months in and the third was August of last year because the battery on the second was swelling.

But I have never had a charging port issue. To me it's been rock solid. I HAVE had to replace two Lightning cables over the past three years, but that was just the cables. We use them every day so it wasn't an issue to me.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Maybe that's why I've never had an issue. Both my iPhone 5 and now my 6+ ride top down (Lightning port up) and face out in my jeans side pocket. There's never anything to get into the port.

8. ProjectManager101 thread starter Suspended

ProjectManager101

I did a search and probably the port is dirty inside, I will try to brush it later and see.