iPhone 5 charging port problems...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alveezy, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Alveezy macrumors regular

My iPhone 5 won't charge on the wall charger. Tried connecting it to my computer and it won't even show up on iTunes. I think i'm out of luck here because it's jailbroken and bringing it in for a checkup at an Apple Store would just bring upon denial. Is there a way to restore the phone remotely? I've used iLEX Rat before but i wanna use it again without leaving any traces of the jailbreak so that i can bring it back to stock. That way i won't be denied of a replacement or fix.

2. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Have you tried a different charging cord? It is rare but they have been known to be bad:confused:

3. Alveezy thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried 2 different Lightning cords. Even tried using the 30-pin USB along with a lightning adapter. Also used a different Wall ports and charging cube. no luck!

4. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Sorry to hear that. You are kinda in a "pickle".

Good Luck

5. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Get some pressured air and blow it into the lightning port. Dust accumulates...

6. Alveezy thread starter macrumors regular

I think doing that could push the dirt more towards the contacts. When i went in for my Genius Bar appointment. the guy brushed it then used a paper-clip with a tape at the end and still the charging port wouldn't charge or sync. Got it resolved and received a replacement. Read through my post on the "How Many Times Did You Get a Replacement Thread" for some lol's haha! it was a scary and funny moment for me at the Genius Bar yesterday.

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I have been and their has been some funny ones.

8. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

One of the great things about owning a iPhone is if something goes worng, Apple replaces it.

Glad you got this resolved!

9. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

iPhone 5 charging port problems...

Is the lightning port enclosed/ air proof to the internals of the phone. The only opening/ hole is where the lightning cable plugs into. I just want to know so if pressure air is fine to blow out the lightning port. I don't want to get inside the iPhone 5 or iPod touch 5.

10. kurtbdudley macrumors newbie

I don't know if people are still having this problem but I have a solution

My iphone was refusing to charge and I decided to inspect a bit closer. It turns out that storing my phone in my pocket has packed the charging port with lint and after removing it with some tweezers (turn it off first) it charges without a problem. Give it a try!

11. kub macrumors newbie

Easy fix

Guys, I found somewhere online that when a guy took the phone to apple store a mac "genius" used a paperclip with tape around it so that the dust/lint from the plug will stick to it as you remove it. I tried to do the same and i was surprised by how much dust i was able to pull out of there. I highly recommend it, MAKE SURE TO TURN THE PHONE OFF FIRST! It worked very well for me so give it a try to save a trip to the store.

12. damo555 macrumors newbie

Use a toothpick to dig out the lint!!

Worked great - amazing how much pocket lint got in there!! And obviously make sure its powered off.

13. Gav2k, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I would not recommend anyone put a paperclip in there!! There are fragile connections in that hole! You should invest in some compressed air cans. The port is sealed and a blast of air once a week solves the lint issue!!!

14. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Turning the pockets out on your pants when you wash them this will cut down on the pocket lint dramatically.

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Agreed! Please use a toothpick instead. It'll be much safer.

16. magilla macrumors regular

Couldn't U jes spit on da toof-pik? Or mebbe a teensie-weensie wad of Bazooka on the end of a unbended papier clip wood doo? :eek:

----------

And Ekco-friendly 2!

----------

& if you line the pockets wif Gorilla tape, no lint EVER comes out. Nor do your handsies (or 4 that matter, anything youns put in dere.)

----------

Mebbee if U squirt some H20 in dere U kin swish it around enuf to flush da hole thing out!

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

What? :confused: