iPhone 5 Charging Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stockcerts, May 19, 2014.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I'm having difficulties charging my iPhone. It seems like I have to really play with the charging cable in order to get it to charge. It usually is hit or miss if I can get the phone to charge. It's not the cable as it's happening on every cable I try, so I'm guessing there is a problem with my phone. Anyone else have this happen, or suggestions how to get this resolved?

Thanks!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Have you tried to (carefully) clean out the lightning port on the phone, in case there's some lint or something else kind of stuck in there and might be interfering with things?

3. magilla macrumors regular

Don't go shoving just anything in the Lightning port to clean it out (of anything accumulated.) Used a blast of canned electronics air cleaner. Using stuff lie paper clips or even wooden matchsticks or toothpicks can damage the internal plated connector strips.

If it's still under warranty, take it to an Apple Store & have them look at it.

You can also look into buying a case like the Otterbox Defender series where the outside rubber bumper has port covers for the charging and earjack port to help keep them free of debris.

4. Aspergirl macrumors newbie

Aspergirl

Been there before. The charging port on the device is either loose or dirty. An apple store can fix that or replace it.

5. Aspergirl macrumors newbie

Aspergirl

I forgot to add the cable may not be supported by the device.

A!

6. Theshanebird macrumors newbie

I have solved the iPhone charge problem, I used compressed air on my last phone that had the same problem and killed the microphone so I new not to do that and it was clear it's dirt in the phone charge port. I tried using a cut down nail file with no luck. Was going to get it insured but it was going to be $169.00, in a last ditch effort I used a clean tee shirt cloth and dipped in acetone wrapped around a thin narrow nail file and wiped it out, repeated this with a clean spot on the rag each time. It works like new, and you could see all the dirt coming out on the rag good luck I hope this saves a lot of iPhones!!!!!!!