Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joroz001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
I seem to be the only person that hates the new "improved" color saturation of the screen. In my opinion, the color do not look natural, for example, the green in the messages icon is very bright. I assume this could be corrected with a software update but until then, they cheapen the look of the phone. They look like Samsung icons.

Anyone else noticed this issue?

nhlducks35

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
It's 100% of the SRGB index, meaning it's nearly on par with most professional monitors if I'm not mistaken. The reason it looks unnatural to you is most people like seeing oversaturated colors.

BigRingIt

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
yes I noticed the color is so saturated. I don't like it at all. I like how the 4s looked. I wish there is a color saturation setting that allows you to adjust it

I didn't like the Samsung because I find their color is super saturated, although the 5 isn't as bad, but it's getting close

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
The reason it looks unnatural to you is most people like seeing oversaturated colors.

Yeah, I'm still too accustom to the cooler colour temperature of my iPhone 4, so still kind of thrown off with the warmer look of the iPhone 5.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
27196994.jpg

nostylez

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
It's heaps better IMO comparing to my Samsung s27a950d which out of the box produces fairly accurate colors but I have calibrated it as close to natural I can get and iPhone 5 is pretty darn close.

yanliw

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Unnatural, so over-saturated!!

So glad to see your post! I thought I am the only one who hates it! To those who like it, take a picture of any subject you find close to you with your iPhone 5 and iPhone 4s. Compare. See which one is closer to reality. I don't know why to most of ppl over-saturation is more attractive, maybe because it's more lively?? But to me, it looks cheaper and cartoonish! Especially for pictures of faces, the color looks so bad. The over-saturation amplifies everything, skin is not smooth, etc. Anyways, if it's not the voice of multitude, I doubt apple will change it for 5s. btw, Jobs never listens to the multitude anyways. I returned my 5 just for this, kept my 4s.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Loving the screen. Everything seems right on the money. not undercooked like previous iphones, and not over cooked like the samoled on my buddies GS2.
people look like they're sunburnt on that thing always.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
I personally think the screen looks amazing! Everything is brighter and looks awesome. Try watching a movie or some videos.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
if you think the color on iP5 doesn't look natural, you should go look at those samsung phones with over-saturated AMOLED on them, those are absolutely disgusting.

nhlducks35

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
Do you guys not understand that the screen is NOT oversaturated?

gamut6.jpg

The New iPad and iPhone 5 are 100% of the SRBG index.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I prefer the vividness of the new display. To my eyes colors look much better without being obnoxiously saturated like other mobile displays.

15danielp

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
Tucson, Arizona
I'm not using the 4in screen to critique photo qualitly or film cinematography. I want the screen to pop and look bright. I really like the iPhone 5's display.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
All this is is software!

Here are instructions to make your 4 / 4S JUST as great

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.