iPhone 5 completely dead and acting crazy -- help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cricketman, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Cricketman macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

A little bit of background information. I own a black, 16GB iPhone 5 on AT&T. The past few months, the battery has been quite terrible on the device. Not only does the battery percentage seem to go down faster, but it ALSO suddenly died when not even close to being empty (25%, 22%, 15%, etc). I chalked this up to age of the phone, even though it is only 1 year old. Anyway..

I was using the device about 10 mins ago, texting and listening to music. It was plugged in as it was around 28% battery. Suddenly, the phone just died. This was strange because although the phone has died at battery percentages around this before, it never died when plugged in. However, even after plugging it in, the phone does not charge. I get the "charge iphone" scren with the red dwindling battery and the picture of the iPhone plug on the screen which is flashing over and over again by itself. I have tried 2 different cables and plugging it in directly to the computer and it won't turn back on. I have also tried hard reset (sleep + home button at same time).

Another interesting thing to note is that I received a message saying that I had reached my maximum capacity on my phone for the very first time today. Again this is weird because I really do not have all that much on my phone....at least I dont think i do.

2. Cricketman thread starter macrumors regular

update - phone turned on but refuses to charge. it is at 16%. HELP!

3. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

First off, calm down... :)

How old is the iPhone?

Has it always been like this since you bought it?

Do you use the USB cable(official USB to lighting cable) that came with the iPhone?

Have you tried plugging it into the included wall adapter (official Apple charger)?

What kind of USB port does the computer use? 1.0, 2.0,...?

4. Cricketman thread starter macrumors regular

Haha I am calm. I am a college student and this is my main means of communication with friends, family, and coworkers, so having these problems is just very inconvenient!

Thank you for your help. The phone is a little over a year old (purchased October 2012). I charge it with an iPad adaptor. I tried plugging it into my computer (MBP 2011, USB 2.0) and it didn't work. I use the official Apple USB cable.

Any and all help appreciated

5. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

Is there an Apple Store near your location? If so, make a Genius Bar reservation. When you make the reservation write in the comments that you have had battery problems for a few months now. When you get to the store and talk to the genius, make sure you explain that the battery issue started a few months ago. I don't know if they will swap the device out for you since you're over your warranty but if you explain to them that it's been happening since before the warranty expired then they may make an exception. Post back what happens.

6. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Take it to Apple and have them take a look at it! Pretty simple solution, IMHO.

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Wow ..... it is called "planned obsolescence" :D

8. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

9. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

Is that what the OP meant? I couldn't understand that part. I remember the last time I saw that message was when my iPhone 5 was jail broken.

----------

I forgot to ask, is your iPhone jailbroken?

10. Cricketman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the help.

Went to the apple store. He cleaned out the dock a little bit but said that the device probably needed to be changed...for $270. I didn't get a replacement yet. I figured that I will just wait it out and see if there are any improvements...

However, after cleaning it the phone is doing a bit better. It is holding a charge and is able to last a few hours now. But it just once again died at 24%. But at least the crazy behavior is gone.

Probably the first bad experience I've had with apple... You really do expect a phone of this quality to not give you problems for at least 2 years :\. I guess it is just my bad luck!

11. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

Try deleting the most recent apps you installed one by one. As another member said, it could be an app that's causing the weird battery life. Also, have you tried checking the battery info? Use ibackupbot and click on more info. It should give you battery stats.

12. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502

Ledsteplin

Things that may help:
    1. When you charge, plug direct into the wall. No extension cords and etc.
    2. Try using an iPhone 5 cable, rather than the iPad.
    3. Calibrate your charge % by letting it run down to 1%, then let it charge up to 100%. When it reaches 100%, let it charge another 30 minutes or more. And don't use the phone while charging.
    Good luck!