IPhone 5 data issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redhawk87, Jan 14, 2014.

1. redhawk87, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

redhawk87 macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 5 using iOS 7 on Verizon. About a month and a half ago, I have been experiencing increased data usage. Last month I blew through 90% of my 2GB data plan in 15 days. I usually only use 1.1GB. I noticed that when I turn off data and am connected to wifi, I do not get ANY iMessages (they are not resent at text messages either) or mms messages. Visual voicemail will not work either. I am also not getting some SMS messages. Has anyone experienced this issue?

I guess one question I have: does VVM, MMS, and/or SMS ever use data (3G/LTE, not wifi) to transmit instead of traditional CDMA? I think its odd that, at times, I turn my data on and get a flood of text messages. Not iMessages, not MMS, but straight up SMS. I hope that SMS is not counted as data AND one text! That would be like charging me twice!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

SMS shouldn't come as mobile data, so it's odd that what you described would happen.

MMS does use some data as it has a payload (a picture/video/etc.). VVM I'm not completely sure about, but that can probably use data as well (although you can call your number and check voicemail that way, without the "visual" part of it, and that should just be a regular call without data usage).