iPhone 5 - detached screen from frame

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Letstalkbiz-us, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Letstalkbiz-us, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

Letstalkbiz-us macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.

I am new to this website, so I am unsure if theres a thread floating around that discusses this issue... Lets begin.

Today, for the very first time, I have managed to drop my iphone 5 faced down, at a height of 3 1/2 feet. My phone had a protected case (spigen slim armor) with a glas.tr screen protector. The glass screen protector manage to save the iphone lcd, however the case protection did not hold. As I removed the case from my phone, I have noticed that the top portion of the lcd has detached itself. In addition, after more inspection, I have noticed the frame was bent. Which explains why its impossible for me to snap the screen back into place. Finally, I can see light gray boxes around the status bar. To my knowledge, this device cannot be repaired.

Now, my other dilemma revolves around not having insurance nor apple care. However, I am still under Apple 1 year limited warranty. Though, I am not sure how that works. I have a reservation with Apple for tomorrow, so I am prep'ing myself for disappointment news. But before I do, I'd like to know if there is something I can do or say to Apple.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

The truth. They'll see that they frame is bent and will know you dropped it (or something else happened to it). Just be polite, sincere, and don't try to be pushy bossy and, if you're lucky, they *might* give you an exchange... but don't count on it.

More than likely, they'll offer you the Out of Warranty replacement for $229.

3. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

4. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Apple kinda tightened up their policies on physical damage. A year or so ago, I'd say you'd have a better chance of getting a replacement for free. But nowadays, they really don't do it at all. But hey, it's worth a shot. Worst case you'll have to pay $229 (or $199 I forgot the exact amount) for an OWR.

Sorry that it happened. I know it sucks. Good luck.

5. 617aircav Suspended

Which is better than att insurance for this case, as there is no premium involved.

6. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Curious. Is that price set for all sizes?

----------

Seems odd. I dropped mine a few weeks ago from that height onto asphalt and nothing happened except a few dings in the aluminum band.

7. AFDoc, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013

AFDoc macrumors 68030

I love when people come into here posting pictures and always saying it fell from 3-4'. May have been 3-4' going 20 MPH but sorry OP, I have a hard time believing that destruction is from a simply fall while in a protective case.

After closer inspection of the pics it appears to be bent in the famous volume down button area. Yeah, NO WAY that happened from a face down fall WITH a case on. There was obviously force applied to get the band to bend done knowingly by you or not. OR it wasn't a simple 3.5' fall "face down".

8. Letstalkbiz-us thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the feedback. I will definitely take your advise on the approach. Good thing I didn't go to the store today. I was surely upset and I might've taken out my anger on them. On the other note, $229 is not a bad price. My worry is that Apple may suggest for me to opt on out-of-contact iphone... Well I hope it goes well tomorrow.

9. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

It's $229 for the iPhone 5, $149 for all the other models.

10. Letstalkbiz-us thread starter macrumors newbie

I do apologize, I could have underestimated the actual height of the drop. Besides, I take much care of my electronics. I have owned an iphone 4 and till this date, its still in pristine condition. This incident is new for me; first time ever to experience something like this.

11. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

I have the Spigen slim armor as well, but I know it offers protection only against scratches. It's SLIM.

Next time get an Otterbox case, and get AppleCare+!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.