Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bammeh

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
Hey all,

So yeaterday my iPhone died and I thought nothing of it. It had 13% battery last I checked, so I guess it died while I wasn't paying attention.
Well, now it won't turn on. With 2 different charging cords and 3 different USB cubes, as well as countless outlets, it wont even charge or show any notification of anything except ONE TIME the proximity sensor light blinked. And now, nothing.

I have checked the LCI, it is still white. No water damage. I have tried a hard reset as well as DFU mode, with no luck. I am currently not under warranty as it has been a while and it is a replacement iPhone 5 since it has broken 2 times before. Has anyone had any luck with this without taking it to Genius Bar?

Thanks.

It is an iPhone 5 with iOS 7.1

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Did you ever sync it with iTunes before?
If so try syncing now and see it your computer recognizes your iPhone.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I have had multiple instances where my iPod touch or iPhone has done this. When it first happened I thought I had done something to it, but it really just froze. Plugging it in, hitting the power button, nothing work. Until I pressed down the power and home buttons (hard reset) for about 30 seconds to 1 minute and up came the Apple logo. Didn't need to restore it, nothing. Everything was there.

Try that and see if it comes back up. I'm not sure what its doing to make that happen, but once I had done it on one device, it never happened again.

Bammeh

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
I have had multiple instances where my iPod touch or iPhone has done this. When it first happened I thought I had done something to it, but it really just froze. Plugging it in, hitting the power button, nothing work. Until I pressed down the power and home buttons (hard reset) for about 30 seconds to 1 minute and up came the Apple logo. Didn't need to restore it, nothing. Everything was there.

Try that and see if it comes back up. I'm not sure what its doing to make that happen, but once I had done it on one device, it never happened again.

I have tried this many times. Plugged into a wall, the computer. Nothing works.

Did you ever sync it with iTunes before?
If so try syncing now and see it your computer recognizes your iPhone.

The computer won't recognize it. I think the battery is kaput.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I have tried this many times. Plugged into a wall, the computer. Nothing works.

Keep holding it for a minute. I'm not talking about DFU mode or anything, just hold it for a minute (set a timer if needed) and see if it boots.

Also, I don't think this is a dead battery. A Li-Ion battery doesn't just die out of the blue, it would degrade over time. Also, when plugged into the charger, it would at least boot after a few moments.

Bammeh

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
Keep holding it for a minute. I'm not talking about DFU mode or anything, just hold it for a minute (set a timer if needed) and see if it boots.

Also, I don't think this is a dead battery. A Li-Ion battery doesn't just die out of the blue, it would degrade over time. Also, when plugged into the charger, it would at least boot after a few moments.

I have just tried this. I got nothing :(

anaqvi786

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2013
At iOS planet
I know you tried 2 cables with your iPhone, but I recommend getting another one just to be safe and connecting it to your computer. Then if no apple logo appears then hold the power and home buttons until it does. If it doesn't then you need your battery replaced which can easily and inexpensively be done (amazon is your best bet for iPhone 5 batteries).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.