Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jquest68

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2016
Georgia
My little cousin has an iPhone 5 and it completely died on her. I tried the holding down sleep/power button for 10-20 second and nothing. It doesn't even charge at all. I switched cables and still nothing. I even connected to my laptop and iTunes didn't even pop up. I have tried almost everything that I can think of and still nothing is happening.
The charge icon doesn't show with the battery. The battery shows that the power is close to dead. I let it charge for 45 minutes and it didn't move a level. What can I do? I told her that its completely dead and that you need a new phone. Do you think she may need a new phone?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Sounds like it could just be the battery. The iPhone 5 had a very high failure rate on the battery and even a repair program at one point.

Best to take it to an Apple Store for them to diagnose. The diagnosis itself is free, so you'll have an idea of how much it'll cost to fix. If it's too expensive but they confirm it's the battery, you can always fit a new battery yourself.

Reactions: jquest68
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.