Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZakBrandonJake

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Hi there guys, I got a iPhone 5 for 150 pounds from Apple Brand new because I have had 5 defective iPhone 4S's

I have had to replace my iPhone 5 already because of a camera issue, this was a long 2 hour drive to Newcastle.... I received a new iPhone 5 32GB and noticed that there is a dead pixel at the bottom right of the screen. but this isn't the main problem ... the main problem is if I was to lock my phone for around 20 seconds then turn it back on the lower part of the display turns yellow for a few seconds like bright yellow on the black part it only happens for a few seconds but it keeps catching my eye?

I don't want to drive another 2 hours to go to apple to receive a new replacement phone that will.. knowing my look have a bigger fault..

What should I do? I have restored so it isn't a stuck pixel...

Thanks

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
wow nearly 400 views and not a single reply!

well there is no real answer.? apple will exchange it due to one dead pixel, regardless of the yellow issue.

either A) drive to the store.
or B) contact applecare and have them send a replacement phone. i think you can pay $29.99 usd and give them your debit card. They will send one.. and you send yours back. If you dont want to give them the info/pay.. they will send you a box send your faulty one in.. they will send you a replacement so you are phoneless for a couple of days.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I should also point out: 5 iPhone 4S exchanges, and now working on your second iPhone 5 exchange...

If I may say so, it would appear that maybe fate doesn't have it in the cards for you to own Apple products!

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Call Apple and explain. They will work with you. Ask to be escalated if you hit a roadblock. We pay too much and they have too much money to accept anything less than SATISFIED.

ZakBrandonJake

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
well there is no real answer.? apple will exchange it due to one dead pixel, regardless of the yellow issue.

either A) drive to the store.
or B) contact applecare and have them send a replacement phone. i think you can pay $29.99 usd and give them your debit card. They will send one.. and you send yours back. If you dont want to give them the info/pay.. they will send you a box send your faulty one in.. they will send you a replacement so you are phoneless for a couple of days.

I should also point out: 5 iPhone 4S exchanges, and now working on your second iPhone 5 exchange...

If I may say so, it would appear that maybe fate doesn't have it in the cards for you to own Apple products!

Also.. I have had a MacBook from Early 2008 and it is living strong with everyday use!

Either that - or he is one picky dude....

I am thinking of ringing apple care and doing it though them, I have been very unlucky its more of a chain of events, but I have been very unlucky with apple products. I am not picky, just when my screen has a bright yellow light on it and dead pixels I don't think its acceptable for a £600+ phone. :(

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
So I went to get my phone replaced today, and I was like "you think I can take a good look at the phones you pull out because I heard many of these phones come out scratched up and dinged up". The Genius goes "sure no problem". He pulls out the first one which was okay but had a few dings and I was like " I can't take this man". He says "sure no problem". Pulls out the next one and this one had terrible dings on the back like I am not sure how it got past QC. Again I say " I can't take this look at it". So he pulls out a third one and this third one is perfect, I really inspected it and it was 98/100 % in my book.

Point of the story is that wtf is going on at QC lmao those first two phones he pulled out were ridiculous... Maybe they haven't perfected the manufacturing process but I am finally happy I got a solid phone with solid buttons and everything.

ZakBrandonJake

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
So I went to get my phone replaced today, and I was like "you think I can take a good look at the phones you pull out because I heard many of these phones come out scratched up and dinged up". The Genius goes "sure no problem". He pulls out the first one which was okay but had a few dings and I was like " I can't take this man". He says "sure no problem". Pulls out the next one and this one had terrible dings on the back like I am not sure how it got past QC. Again I say " I can't take this look at it". So he pulls out a third one and this third one is perfect, I really inspected it and it was 98/100 % in my book.

Point of the story is that wtf is going on at QC lmao those first two phones he pulled out were ridiculous... Maybe they haven't perfected the manufacturing process but I am finally happy I got a solid phone with solid buttons and everything.

As soon as I got this replacement iPhone 5 32GB I know what has happened in the past about taking one and a few days later being dead. I took it upon my self last saturday when I got the new replacement I checked it over, from vibration, to speakers, to camera, to wifi chip, to 3G chip to looking at the screen and looking for scratched, all seemed fine, I then started to notice this problem with the yellow backlight leak at the bottem and then when I looked at it closer and there was a big white dead pixel right there. Really not happy, having drove for a hour and a half and paying for fuel to be let down once again! Next time I go up there I will be speaking with a manager no questions asked.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
As soon as I got this replacement iPhone 5 32GB I know what has happened in the past about taking one and a few days later being dead. I took it upon my self last saturday when I got the new replacement I checked it over, from vibration, to speakers, to camera, to wifi chip, to 3G chip to looking at the screen and looking for scratched, all seemed fine, I then started to notice this problem with the yellow backlight leak at the bottem and then when I looked at it closer and there was a big white dead pixel right there. Really not happy, having drove for a hour and a half and paying for fuel to be let down once again! Next time I go up there I will be speaking with a manager no questions asked.

Damn man that sucks. There are perfect iPhone 5's out there it's more rare now then it will be in the future, but this is what it is with Apple products. When I had a GS3, the back creaked a little bit and the volume rocker was loose but I didn't care as much about the phone as I do for Apple products, like I want my Apple products to be perfect because there just such nice products. I want to be the one that scratches my phone( I don't want it to ever happen but if it does oh well) not the factory that makes it come scratched or defective out the box.

Foxconn did say that the i5 was the hardest phone they ever made, but they said that they are improving their QC and manufacturing process by the day so things will defitnetly clear up in a good month or so...

ZakBrandonJake

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Damn man that sucks. There are perfect iPhone 5's out there it's more rare now then it will be in the future, but this is what it is with Apple products. When I had a GS3, the back creaked a little bit and the volume rocker was loose but I didn't care as much about the phone as I do for Apple products, like I want my Apple products to be perfect because there just such nice products. I want to be the one that scratches my phone( I don't want it to ever happen but if it does oh well) not the factory that makes it come scratched or defective out the box.

Foxconn did say that the i5 was the hardest phone they ever made, but they said that they are improving their QC and manufacturing process by the day so things will defitnetly clear up in a good month or so...

Contacted Apple Support today on the phone and they say they can send a box for my iPhone to be put in and send out a replacement when they receive it, the dead pixel is tiny, BUT STILL DEAD, do you think they will repair my phone or send out a brand new one to me?

Thank you very much

PS: Do you know if I could talk to a apple advisor and claim compensation for my troubles.

Zak

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Contacted Apple Support today on the phone and they say they can send a box for my iPhone to be put in and send out a replacement when they receive it, the dead pixel is tiny, BUT STILL DEAD, do you think they will repair my phone or send out a brand new one to me?

Thank you very much

PS: Do you know if I could talk to a apple advisor and claim compensation for my troubles.

Zak

did you read my post ^^ 3rd post

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16125527/

Compensation? they are fixing the troubles (replacing the phone)
they arent going to give you money lol
and you already were compensated for a discount on the phone... 150 pounds for it.. you want it free?!

hour and a half drive...they gave you 50pounds off.. more than gas.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

Thank you very much

Zak

yes of course they will replace a dead pixel instantly with no questions asked or hesitation. it would probably be better to go to a local Apple store if you could, much quicker but obviously if there isn't one near by you then yeah.

ZakBrandonJake

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
yes of course they will replace a dead pixel instantly with no questions asked or hesitation. it would probably be better to go to a local Apple store if you could, much quicker but obviously if there isn't one near by you then yeah.

I talked to a senior adviser and they offered me a free ups drop off and pick up replacement phone this has saved me 30 pounds but I have to give my info!

Thanks you guys

Hopefully :apple: will send me a perfect phone! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.