Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Because it could easily tip over.

It looks like its sitting fine. The only way it could tip over is if someone bumped it. I don't know the way you interact with your dock, but I've never bumped mine before.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I just received the Shenit dock as a birthday gift (ordered via my Amazon wishlist), and I'm relieved to say that it works fine. Is it fabulous? Not even close, but it'll do for now. It's way too big, too light, and yes, the connector looks like a craft project, but it works, and my iPhone doesn't feel insecure when in it.

I'm not paying $60-90 for a dock, it's not worth that much to me to be able to reliably dock my phone bedside.

This will do for the foreseeable future.

D-Back

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
I'm probably going to do this this weekend. Honestly, why wouldn't someone do this? Nice looking, (kind of) Apple official, and FREE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3zzOP9B0c8&feature=player_embedded

Thanks for the great video sir! I made my own tonight and it only took me around 10 minutes total (most of it was just trying to get the cable to sit right). Best of all it works with my incipio stowaway case, which is quite bulky and would never fit in a traditional dock. It is also very sturdy and I am not worried at all about the phone tipping over, in fact, it feels much more sturdier than when I used my iphone 4 in the official apple dock. Here's some pictures, sorry for the bad quality, they are from my iPad 3:

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 150
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 137

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks for the great video sir! I made my own tonight and it only took me around 10 minutes total (most of it was just trying to get the cable to sit right). Best of all it works with my incipio stowaway case, which is quite bulky and would never fit in a traditional dock. It is also very sturdy and I am not worried at all about the phone tipping over, in fact, it feels much more sturdier than when I used my iphone 4 in the official apple dock. Here's some pictures, sorry for the bad quality, they are from my iPad 3:

You're welcome! I'm glad you actually tried it and it worked great! I'm going to do mine tonight and hopefully I'll have the same luck you have had.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010

Can you tell me please what drill bits you use? We would like to try this.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Given it a bash. Not as tidily done as the video but works very well! Very sturdy with the iPhone on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 132

D-Back

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
Can you tell me please what drill bits you use? We would like to try this.

I honestly didnt even look, just went from a small bit up till the hole was big enough to fit the connector part of the cable through. Sorry!

tesuji

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
After weeks of fretting about whether The Lightning Dock was a scam, mine finally arrived today. It took a solid week to get from Quebec to Colorado. The dock looks good, and it's well made. It isn't heavy enough to allow removal of the phone one-handed, but neither were any of my Apple docks.

I have the connector sitting fairly proud of the dock to accommodate a case (phone was naked until a gravity storm got me a few weeks ago -- curse the loose fit of my dodoCase sleeve). If you get this dock and you plan to use it with a case on your phone, I recommend setting the height of the connector with the case on, before you reassemble the back plate.

I was curious about how much the set screw would damage the lightning connector -- I was careful not to over-tighten the set screw (a small hex wrench is included), but there's definitely a faint but permanent indentation where the set screw seats against the connector to hold it in place. I should have taken a photo before I put the dock back together -- sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0583.jpg
    IMG_0583.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 110

aldoF

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
inspired byt the headphone case dock I decided to make my own using my magic mouse case, I knew I saved it for a reason!!!

IMG_0046.jpg

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
It's obviously temporary, but was fun to throw together after seeing the example.

Attachments

• DSCN0785.JPG
    DSCN0785.JPG
    545.7 KB · Views: 133

Popsie

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2009
Ghent, Belgium
After weeks of fretting about whether The Lightning Dock was a scam, mine finally arrived today. It took a solid week to get from Quebec to Colorado. The dock looks good, and it's well made. It isn't heavy enough to allow removal of the phone one-handed, but neither were any of my Apple docks.

I have the connector sitting fairly proud of the dock to accommodate a case (phone was naked until a gravity storm got me a few weeks ago -- curse the loose fit of my dodoCase sleeve). If you get this dock and you plan to use it with a case on your phone, I recommend setting the height of the connector with the case on, before you reassemble the back plate.

I was curious about how much the set screw would damage the lightning connector -- I was careful not to over-tighten the set screw (a small hex wrench is included), but there's definitely a faint but permanent indentation where the set screw seats against the connector to hold it in place. I should have taken a photo before I put the dock back together -- sorry.

Nice looking case and dock ! :):):)
Got those same two (still waiting for the dock ) ! :):):)
When i saw the pictures i immediately looked for my phone because i thought it was stolen :D

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
I think I'm going to try using my 5th gen iPod Touch box (similar to the Magic Mouse) this afternoon. I'll post pics when it's done.

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA

I don't know...that's almost $50 US for what appears to be a molded piece of plastic?

When I tried using their contact page to ask what material the docks are going to be made out of as well as an approximate weight of the dock, the code was bad and my email didn't go anywhere.

I could be totally wrong and the product is worth every cent but until there's more data I'd be extremely hesitant to order. Which is probably why you came here in the first place! :rolleyes:

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.