iPhone 5 does not connect or hang on to LTE connection

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TheNewDude, Nov 5, 2012.

1. TheNewDude, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012

TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

First off, I did a search in the forums. Lots of threads about various issues with LTE, but didn't see this specific issue so started a thread.

I'm located in Toronto, Canada. So LTE is VERY much present and widespread here.
    My service is with Virgin Mobile which is a subsidiary of Bell Canada which is one of the largest telcos in Canada and have widespread coverage.

My unlocked iPhone 5 rarely picks up LTE, and when it does, the LTE signal doesn't stay on for too long. The phone stays mostly on 3G coverage.

Anyone else having this issue? Any Canadians?
    Anyone have a solution?

It's really sucks you spend so much money on a phone which doesn't work the way it's suppose to.

2. TheNewDude thread starter macrumors 6502a

No one else having this issue?

I'm the only one????

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Reset network and call your carrier.
    Maybe LTE signal where you are is not that strong and it switches back to 3G.

4. TheNewDude thread starter macrumors 6502a

There definitely is LTE here.
    It was one of the first areas to get LTE because of it's population.

I will try the other things you suggested.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its there but is the signal strong where you are?
    The further you are from the LTE tower then chances are it will switch to 3G if it gets better signal with that.

6. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

What part of Toronto/GTA are you in? I have no issues with Telus LTE in Richmond Hill area.

7. TheNewDude thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm in Mississauga near the airport. I rarely get LTE. It's 99% of the times on 3G. It does connect to LTE though. So it's not the "wrong" sim.

8. TheNewDude thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called Virgin mobile last night about this issue.
    The rep didn't connect me to Tech Support but said that she spoke with them and they were going to "provision my account for LTE" and if that doesn't work then I need to change my plan.

I totally don't understand what changing my plan would do. It's the data plan that controls LTE, and my data plan and regular talk plans are two separate plans.

They just want me out of the grandfathered plan i feel.