iPhone 5 dropped - screen slightly damaged

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by casjohnr, Dec 19, 2014.

1. casjohnr macrumors regular

Dropped my iPhone 5 earlier, as a result on the left hand side of the screen there are now 3-5 very thin 'rainbow lines'

Is this curable by a screen replacement and if so how easy is it to DIY (iPhone now out of warranty)

2. shunting123 macrumors member

out of curiosity, how high off the ground was it? in other words, was it a bad fall?

(my 5s arrives any day)

3. brandinnkim macrumors newbie

The rainbow lines you are speaking of is when the digitizer ribbon that goes from the screen comes loose or its faulty. It's probably knocked loose. Here's how to replant the ribbons for this troubleshooting:

1. take out the two pentalope screws located on the outer sides of the charging port.

2. slightly lift the screen from the casing from the home button end first and lift that end until its slightly under 85 degrees so you don't rip any of the chords.

3. there will be a sliver plate in the upper right hand side corner that's in the shape of square, a quarter can fit on it. take the four screws from the corners of this plate to reveal the ribbons. The one you're looking at is the left most ribbon underneath all of them. Makes sure that ribbon and all other ribbons are pressed down firmly.

4. assembly is the opposite as disassembly.

if you need more help don't hesitate to ask. I replace screens as a hobby on the weekends.