iPhone 5:Dust under glass surrounding home button.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsmemuffins, May 20, 2013.

1. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

It started with a speck. Now there is a circle of dust under the glass surrounding the home button.

No amount of blowing gets rid of it. When I press the home button dust comes out and surrounds it but the larger specks remain under the glass.

Since new the home button never felt as good as my other iDevices. It's stiff and much louder than any of the other devices.

In contrast the home button on my iPad 3 is nice and springy.

Anyone else experience this? Here in Ireland we don't have an Apple Store, so no Genius.

I'd have to mail the phone in if its something Apple would even look at.

2. rnbgrilla macrumors member

I have the same problem is you, only if I stare at it starts to Irritate me lol, because on the white iPhone it shows more then the black

3. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Yeah, only outside or under brighter lights I see the dust. :(

Still, I have to wonder if its a defect.

4. itjw macrumors 65816

The FIRST time you press the home button you got dust under the screen surrounding the button... It happens worse depending on how dirty your hands are and the environment you use it in. The iPhone 5 is not a sealed/waterproof/airtight device, and even though they make great efforts to keep it as sealed up as possible, some things are just unavoidable.

If a speck of dust is enough to be considered a "defect" take it back to Apple and see what they say. Chances are they'll laugh at you, as not only is it not affecting the way the phone works (like dust under the camera might), but it's just another example of how crazy end users have gotten.

Spending a few hundred bucks on something does not guarantee it will never ever show wear, that it will never ever break, or that it will even come out of the box 100% flawless. All it does is say that you were willing to spend that much money based on your desire to own the product. If you no longer desire to own it, don't. Besides a fully functional product for the terms of the warranty, nothing else is promised to you regardless of how expensive or inexpensive something is.

It's just some dust. Every phone accumulates it in one form or another if you USE it...

5. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

It started as a speck. Now it's a ring if dust under the glass.

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I assume you don't have a screen protector, and the dust you're seeing isn't under that.

Do you have a local repair shop you can take it to? If not, maybe buy the tools and try yourself.

7. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

No screen protector.

Btw. This isn't OCD. I only think this is out if the ordinary because I've had 2 iPhone 4's a 4S an iPad 2 and an iPad 3 and this hasn't occurred on any if them.

8. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

And a proper compressed air can used to clean keyboards won't expel it? You sure it isn't the glue used to fuse the LCD/digitizer peeling?

9. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Haven't tried compressed air. Might give that a go.

Not glue. 100% dust.

10. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

Buy a screen protector and then use the film that you peel off the protector to get inbetween the home button and the glass. This has happened to me on my iPhone 4S, I used the above method and was able to get the dust out!

You just need something thin enough to get inbetween.

11. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

i'd rather have dust under the screen than under my camera lens!

Every picture looks like there is a floating purple booger in it

12. Ta0jin macrumors 6502a

13. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Bend over in front of a mirror and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about:p

I just want to know if anyone had a similar problem and brought it to Apple with a satisfactory outcome.

Like I said earlier, there are no Apple Stores here so I would have to post it in. If its something they don't fix then I'd rather not waist my time.

14. Ta0jin macrumors 6502a

Funny guy. I'm just curious how you'd see dust under glass surrounding the home button given it's black paint on the other side.

15. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

That's why I think it's a defect. I know the glass and LCD are bonded.

Unless its been there since the factory. I'll try and A&E a photo but I'm not sure anything will be shown.

16. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Here is my advice: Use a cigarette paper (it's thin enough to fit in the gap), try holding the home button down if you can get it in. Worked for me on the white model. Secondly, if you are confident enough dismantling electronic devices- ope the device up, remove the home button and clean, then replace. Or, try to ignore it (which I know is difficult).

17. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I've tried cleaning it with thin paper but t seems I have the dexterity of an amputee.

Here's a photo. Not a great one as I only have an iPad 3 to take it but it does show a couple if the larger ones.

Ignore the rest is just dust on top.

Attached Files:

18. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Yes, it's a little difficult to the he appear in the groove but a little patience goes a long way. Check YouTube for removing home button videos, but if you are not happy doing that, best ignore it if you can, or try compressed air as other have suggested- I never tried that myself. My white home button is now completely clean around the edge when I used paper.

19. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I'll try to find some stiffer thin paper.

20. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

I've managed to wipe it away with a moist cleaning cloth (a ZaggWipe) by wiping around the home button.

Do NOT wipe top to bottom and/or left to right. You'll drag lint and make matters worse.

21. itsmemuffins thread starter macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I tried it with a baby wipe but it made no difference. I'm starting to think it came like the from the factory.