Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJayden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
I have had this problem for a while now, my iPhone 5 has been dying with at least 20% battery, sometimes even nearer 30% battery remaining and I had learnt to deal with it.

I got a replacement iPhone 5 in December 2012 after the lock button broke and it has only been happening since I got that one.

Like I said, I had learnt to deal with it until now. It has recently been dying at 40-50% charge and wont turn back on for another half an hour to an hour.

I decided to research and found out it happens to a lot of people.

I have re-calibrated the battery and that didn't work. Just wondering what I can do? Or what you've done if its happened to you.

I live in New Zealand and we have no Apple Retail Stores, so that option is out of the picture.

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
My mom's iphone had a similar problem. I guessed that some rogue app is doing mischief and restored phone clean.

Then I installed only apps which she requires one by one daly.

That has solved her problem.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Your battery is toast.... Batteries sometimes fail.

Call Apple support and ask them what to do. I suspect you can send it in.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Your battery is toast.... Batteries sometimes fail.

Call Apple support and ask them what to do. I suspect you can send it in.
This is what I think too. I wonder if the replacemt phone was new, it might not have been. My view is the batteries last 18 months or so and then you can start seeing problems. If Apple cannot change your battery find a local tech shop or do it yourself (see online guides/videos like ifixit)

Onestep

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2014
My verizon 5 does that around 13-20%

Plugging in charge cable however turns it back on immediately.

iJayden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
I rang Apple and they did a quick diagnostics test and discovered I have a defective battery.

I didn't know the phone was still under warranty either (thought it was 12 months, turns out its 24 months) so sent the phone and awaiting either a free repair or replace, they haven't told me which yet until they get their hands on the device.

Thanks guys. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.