iPhone 5 earbud volume issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Fuma419, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Fuma419 macrumors newbie

I love my new iPhone 5 but when listening to music with the iPhone in my pocket the volume will decrease on its own. I can duplicate this every time with a set of klipsch earbuds equipped with volume control. The same earbuds did not do this with my iPhone 4. It also won't do this if I'm holding the iPhone in my hand while walking. Only when it's in my pocket and I'm walking somewhere.

Can someone else confirm or deny this flaw with any sets of earbuds? Or did I just get a flawed device?

2. astral125 macrumors 6502

You're holding it wrong.

:eek: Actually I don't know. Could the phone's volume buttons be pushed? Do you have any friend's with iP5s that you could test?

3. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

I can tell you that my Skull Candy buds sound better than the new Apple buds. I have to set the volume higher to get the same sound, but the sound is slightly richer with Skull Candy's 11mm drivers.

As far as "dimming" sound, nope not had that issue at all.

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Maybe something's hitting the volume down button?

New in iOS 6, you can lower the volume with the screen locked.

5. Fuma419 thread starter macrumors newbie

The iPhone was the only think in that pocket. And the pants are pretty loose fitting. I feel pretty confident nothing was hitting the button. There was quite a bit of static electricity involved and noticed when inserting or removing the iPhone from my pocket. A buddy of mine from work is going to experiment with the same iPhone and same pants but different earbuds and my earbuds.

6. 19ariea90 macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm having the same problem which is really frustrating. I'm using old iPhone headphones with my iPhone 5 and the volume just keeps changing on its own. At first I had it in my bag whilst listening to music then when I noticed I left the phone with my headphones plugged in and noticed that the volume is changing and I'm not pressing anything. Any help please?

7. Maiko Tsumi macrumors newbie

My old earbuds did this with my iPhone 4. This happened after the first time I worked out with them on and sweat got into the volume controller. I was never able to use them again while working out.

8. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

This. My crappy workout Skullcandy earbuds did this several times and I blamed it on my S3 (which I returned due to not liking Android in general, not this issue). It just happened for the first time with my iPhone 5 using the same earbuds. They never did this with my 4S - the only variable being I'm completely, utterly drenched in sweat to the point that I can wring out my shirt - and the only time this happened with the S3 was when I was running in hotter weather.

9. sck007 macrumors newbie

sck007

I'm having the same problem, I tried enabling Sound Check option & Volume control option and it fixed for sometime, but started happening again :mad:

Have an appointment with Genius Bar today at 12pm, let's see what they say, my guess is everything looks fine, it's the earphone :rolleyes:

iphone 5 + Klipsch S4i

10. Fuma419 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the Klipsch S4i as well! Maybe it's this combination.

As far as sweat goes, I can only imagine malfunctions would be normal when an iPhone gets drenched in any liquid.

11. chrisninnes macrumors newbie

sck007 - how did your Genius bar appointment go?

I'm having exactly the same problem, iPhone 5 with Klipsch Image S4i headphones. Walking into work this morning the volume decreased with the phone in my pocket. I also noticed a static-like pop in the left ear on each step.

Taking the phone out of my pocket and holding it as I walked along stopped the problem - I'm wondering whether it's something to do with the iPhone 5 being more sensitive to static?

12. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Klipsch S4i + iPhone 5 here and not had this issue myself

13. sck007 macrumors newbie

sck007

Guys, the issue is with Klipsch S4i. Please contact Klipsch support for a replacement, I got it, their support is the best!!!

Genius appointment was waste of time, they couldn't find anything on iPhone and replaced my iPhone to new one. It happened again with the new phone, then I tried in my friends phone, realized its something to do with the headphone.

Contact Klipsch support, they just asked what's the problem and a copy of the receipt from Buy.com (where i bought - showing purchase date and item #).

Got a brand new one last Friday, tried today - no problem :)

Go for it...

14. Fuma419 thread starter macrumors newbie

Waiting on my new pair from Klipsch. Support was awesome! They sent oh a new pair right away. Hope it fixes mine as well.