iphone 5 earphones: volume changes during calls

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by paul8, Oct 9, 2012.

1. paul8 macrumors member

Is anyone having this problem with their iPhone 5? During a phone call using the new earphones, the volume drops off occasionally so that you can barely hear the other person. The volume seems to go up and down so that you miss a few words here and there. I wonder if it has something to do with noise suppression by the external microphone? Note 1: the earphones work perfectly when listening to music--the problem only occurs during phone calls. Note 2: when talking to the same person from the same location and removing the earphones, there is no problem hearing the other person.

2. JohnInMD macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 Headphone problems

I have the same problem. I have tried the Apple headphones, Bose noise canceling and B&W headphones with the same results. All three headphones work fine for music, but are unusable when I try to use the iPhone as a phone. I just haven't had time to go to the Apple store to deal with it.

John

3. stock28 macrumors member

4. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Yep, seems I'm having the same issue. There are seemingly random major dips in volume when talking to others using a headset. Take out the headset - no problem. Listen to music or play a game - no problem.

It may be a noise canceling thing, but it happens to me when sitting in my silent room.

I haven't experimented with other headsets yet, but will do so and report back.

5. khangaroo macrumors newbie

Yes same issue here. I'm going to try to take it to the apple store this weekend.

6. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

It also seems like the noise reduction is really off when using the headset... today I unlocked my front door and the person I was talking to asked if I was operating a jackhammer.

7. khangaroo macrumors newbie

I didn't get a chance to go to the apple store. :mad: But yea my gf asked me once why i had the radio blasting in the car when in reality it was practically muted. (I just thought she was pms'ing) haha.

8. treef macrumors newbie

Anyone find a fix for this yet?

I had the same problem, took it in to the Apple Store today and they gave me a new phone. Just tested it out and still have the same issue.