iPhone 5 email photos

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by 7enderbender, Apr 21, 2013.

1. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

I just noticed another oddity of iOS (I think). How come photos emailed from my iPhone 5 don't come over as regular attachments but rather as text embedded photos?
    What's worse: the orientation does not carry over to standard email programs such as Outlook or Thunderbird.

I had noticed that before when my dad sent me scans from his iMac. I thought it was user error but it appears we're looking here at another Apple weirdness or incompatibility with the rest of the world.

Any suggestions how I can send my iPhone photos as standard jpg attachments and with the recorded orientation intact?

Note: a friend sent pictures from her iPhone 4s and those come over as normal jpg attachments.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I have an iPhone 5 and whether I send photos using the Photo.app (selecting a photo then mail it) or use the mail.app (compose an email and insert a phone) they both come to my Mac as an attachment but are displayed imbedded in the email text where I placed them.

Regardless of how they are formatted, they can easily be saved using either the iPhone (tap image to save) or computer (right click on image or hit save attachment link)

There are also some jailbreak hacks that allow modifications of how pictures are emailed on the iPhone, perhaps the person with the 4S has a jailbroken iPhone ?

3. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Sure, there is always a way to save things differently. But stuff just doesn't look right when received on a windows pc.
    So it sounds as I'd this is yet another thing where it's the apple way or the highway. How do they expect to win over more windows users this way?

4. FotoDirk macrumors member

I only have Apple products myself and yes I noticed Windows user complain about this issue to me. Most of them have then relative old installations.

But that does not make it an Apple misalignment to the standards. MS is far known to implement it's own stuff as they have the largest amount of users on the desktop market. That is a way to tell people to stay with them and not to swith to the competition.

On a Mac I solve the issue by placing the photo's in something like dropbox and then I send share it from that location. You can also zip the picture and send the zip file. But this last option might not be possible on the iPhone.

I think the problem is that Apple embeds the picture in the mail body and not all Window mail clients can handle that very well.

5. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

I'm not looking to defend Microsoft given some of their own odd issues. But I'd still say this is a misalignment on Apple's part in this case. I can't send a photo from my iphone as an attachment. Period. End of story. They want me to send it as embedded in text instead of giving me the choice. That's unprofessional.

And what's worse: the embedding doesn't even work properly. It seems to not send standard exif data (or whatever) so that various browsers (old and new) will show stuff too big and even upside down and nonsense like that. That defeats the purpose of putting it in the email body for "convenience" or whatever their rational is. So much for "it just works". It doesn't. For the majority of recipients that is.

Same by the way with scans sent from an iMac. I recently received a bunch of scanned important legal documents that were time sensitive for me from somebody with a brandnew iMac. All my email applications at work and at home (all up to date) only showed a bunch of thumbnails that I could neither open nor save. Stuff like that is just bad independent of who cooks it up.

6. 7enderbender, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Just making sure that this is not continuing to be pro vs con Apple rant. What's done is done and I'm still trying hard to like my new iPhone 5 and to make it work for me.

Any chance that Sparrow handles attachments in a more standard way?

- I take that question back since I just noticed that Sparrow obviously isn't allowed to handle push mail. So that makes that a no-go -