iPhone 5 factory unlocked official release date, and other ways of getting it now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andy31, Sep 29, 2012.

1. andy31 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!
    Im new to the forum but usually look for plenty of things around here, so it feels good to finally be writing something into it :)
    I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina, and will be in NY this following week...
    As all of you might imagine, i can't wait to get my hands on an iPhone 5... but i need one which is factory unlocked.
    Also, i suppose i'm not eligible for buying the Verizon version of the iPhone 5 (which is factory unlocked) since i don't live in the US....
    Do you guys know when will the official Factory Unlocked iPhone 5 be sold by apple / apple.com to the public? Do you know of any other ways of getting these phones right now?? i will only be in NY until october 8th.
    Any ideas or suggestions might be great! or if you know anybody who sells.. them....
    Thanks everyone, your help will be really useful!

Andy M.

2. andy31 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

eBay. Or have someone to buy it in Europe for you and send it back to Argentina.
    (Cuidado con la aduana e impuestos...)

4. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Tu puedes comprar un iPhone 5 ya sea de la tienda de Apple o tienda de Verizon precio completo, sin contrato. Teléfonos dispositivo sólo se desbloquean.

Good luck finding stock for a walk in purchase. The 5th avenue Apple Store gives out tickets for stock at 6am but you'll have to wait in line with several hundred Asian scalpers who are buying the device only phones to sell in Asian.

I got to the 5th Ave store at 6am and the line went from one avenue to the next. I was told the Asians at the front of the line had camped out at 6pm to get a ticket at 6am.

Buen suerte

5. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

Bumping your own thread is not allowed here. If the mods find out, they will lock your thread in the future.

6. andy31 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry, didn't know.

----------

Wow, seems really hard to get it then!!!
    For what i heard apple will sell it factory unlocked but doesn't just yet, anybody knows a date it will start doing so?

7. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

The official factory unlocked iPhone for the 4S launch where sold 4 weeks after the initial launch. Any iPhone you buy "commitment free with no phone number attached" will be unlocked. I am on an iPhone 5 now with Tmobile which is not an official carrier. Good luck!

8. RocketMan76 macrumors member

Party pooper.

9. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

MuGeN PoWeR

how to buy iphone 5 from Apple store? they ask for your Carrier details if you try to reserve it online. if you try yo buy it at no commitment price from AT&T website it asks for data plan what can be done?

10. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

All Verizon iPhone 5s are unlocked. You can buy from any where that sells them.

11. JCCL macrumors 6502a

I'm for Mexico. I just bought an iPhone 5 AT&T device only from Best buy in Plano, TX. It activated fine, and paid 7 USD to unlock the phone in eBay. Now I can use it with any carrier I want.

12. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

So they will sell Verizon / AT&T phones without a contract? I'm on T-Mobile and would like to just buy one out right. I also live only 15 minutes away from Plano!

13. JCCL macrumors 6502a

On Thursday I got the last one on Stonebriar Centre in Plano. Apple Store said try were reservation only, Radio Shack was sold out. But Best Buy Mobile had a 32 Gb AT&t which was the model I was looking for. Got it and now using it in Mexico (got back today) with my Telcel SIM. they will sel you a device only iPhone as long as they are not reserved, which is hard in the Apple Store

14. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

If I may ask, how did you activate the phone? I know you bought it device only, but didn't you need to get past the ZIP code and last 4 digits of SS number screen to use the phone?

15. boto, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

boto macrumors 6502

boto

Go to an Apple retail store early in the morning of open hours and request for a "no contract iPhone 5 AT&T/Verizon" and you will immediately have an unlocked phone. Just make sure you swap the sim card out before plugging it to iTunes and your all set. I purchased a full retail price iPhone 5 AT&T recently and just replaced the installed sim card with my T-mobile and its functioning perfectly as intended. Even when I activate it through iTunes it won't lock up my phone or anything.

My parents and I purchased a total of 9 iPhone 5s of both white and black no contract AT&T models recently. There was no problems whatsoever when arriving at the Apple Store a few minutes of opening hours and just getting 2 per person. Also, we're planning to get more this weekend so I can get a perfect white iPhone without cosmetic damages, yellow tints, backlight bleeding, and other defects to calm my paranoid behavior.

16. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

You're buying so many I'd assume you're selling them.

17. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Only the ones that are tied to a contract ask for the SS number. Mine didn't ask, just activated automatically