iPhone 5 factory unlocked official release date, and other ways of getting it now

andy31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Hi everyone!
Im new to the forum but usually look for plenty of things around here, so it feels good to finally be writing something into it :)
I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina, and will be in NY this following week...
As all of you might imagine, i can't wait to get my hands on an iPhone 5... but i need one which is factory unlocked.
Also, i suppose i'm not eligible for buying the Verizon version of the iPhone 5 (which is factory unlocked) since i don't live in the US....
Do you guys know when will the official Factory Unlocked iPhone 5 be sold by apple / apple.com to the public? Do you know of any other ways of getting these phones right now?? i will only be in NY until october 8th.
Any ideas or suggestions might be great! or if you know anybody who sells.. them....
Thanks everyone, your help will be really useful!

Andy M.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
eBay. Or have someone to buy it in Europe for you and send it back to Argentina.
(Cuidado con la aduana e impuestos...)

Comment

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Tu puedes comprar un iPhone 5 ya sea de la tienda de Apple o tienda de Verizon precio completo, sin contrato. Teléfonos dispositivo sólo se desbloquean.

Good luck finding stock for a walk in purchase. The 5th avenue Apple Store gives out tickets for stock at 6am but you'll have to wait in line with several hundred Asian scalpers who are buying the device only phones to sell in Asian.

I got to the 5th Ave store at 6am and the line went from one avenue to the next. I was told the Asians at the front of the line had camped out at 6pm to get a ticket at 6am.

Buen suerte

Comment

andy31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Bumping your own thread is not allowed here. If the mods find out, they will lock your thread in the future.
sorry, didn't know.

----------

Tu puedes comprar un iPhone 5 ya sea de la tienda de Apple o tienda de Verizon precio completo, sin contrato. Teléfonos dispositivo sólo se desbloquean.

Good luck finding stock for a walk in purchase. The 5th avenue Apple Store gives out tickets for stock at 6am but you'll have to wait in line with several hundred Asian scalpers who are buying the device only phones to sell in Asian.

I got to the 5th Ave store at 6am and the line went from one avenue to the next. I was told the Asians at the front of the line had camped out at 6pm to get a ticket at 6am.

Buen suerte
Wow, seems really hard to get it then!!!
For what i heard apple will sell it factory unlocked but doesn't just yet, anybody knows a date it will start doing so?

Comment

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
The official factory unlocked iPhone for the 4S launch where sold 4 weeks after the initial launch. Any iPhone you buy "commitment free with no phone number attached" will be unlocked. I am on an iPhone 5 now with Tmobile which is not an official carrier. Good luck!

Comment

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2011
how to buy iphone 5 from Apple store? they ask for your Carrier details if you try to reserve it online. if you try yo buy it at no commitment price from AT&T website it asks for data plan what can be done?

Comment

JCCL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I'm for Mexico. I just bought an iPhone 5 AT&T device only from Best buy in Plano, TX. It activated fine, and paid 7 USD to unlock the phone in eBay. Now I can use it with any carrier I want.

Comment

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I'm for Mexico. I just bought an iPhone 5 AT&T device only from Best buy in Plano, TX. It activated fine, and paid 7 USD to unlock the phone in eBay. Now I can use it with any carrier I want.
So they will sell Verizon / AT&T phones without a contract? I'm on T-Mobile and would like to just buy one out right. I also live only 15 minutes away from Plano!

Comment

JCCL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
On Thursday I got the last one on Stonebriar Centre in Plano. Apple Store said try were reservation only, Radio Shack was sold out. But Best Buy Mobile had a 32 Gb AT&t which was the model I was looking for. Got it and now using it in Mexico (got back today) with my Telcel SIM. they will sel you a device only iPhone as long as they are not reserved, which is hard in the Apple Store

Comment

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
On Thursday I got the last one on Stonebriar Centre in Plano. Apple Store said try were reservation only, Radio Shack was sold out. But Best Buy Mobile had a 32 Gb AT&t which was the model I was looking for. Got it and now using it in Mexico (got back today) with my Telcel SIM. they will sel you a device only iPhone as long as they are not reserved, which is hard in the Apple Store
If I may ask, how did you activate the phone? I know you bought it device only, but didn't you need to get past the ZIP code and last 4 digits of SS number screen to use the phone?

Comment

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Go to an Apple retail store early in the morning of open hours and request for a "no contract iPhone 5 AT&T/Verizon" and you will immediately have an unlocked phone. Just make sure you swap the sim card out before plugging it to iTunes and your all set. I purchased a full retail price iPhone 5 AT&T recently and just replaced the installed sim card with my T-mobile and its functioning perfectly as intended. Even when I activate it through iTunes it won't lock up my phone or anything.

My parents and I purchased a total of 9 iPhone 5s of both white and black no contract AT&T models recently. There was no problems whatsoever when arriving at the Apple Store a few minutes of opening hours and just getting 2 per person. Also, we're planning to get more this weekend so I can get a perfect white iPhone without cosmetic damages, yellow tints, backlight bleeding, and other defects to calm my paranoid behavior.

Last edited:
Comment

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Go to an Apple retail store early in the morning of open hours and request for a "no contract iPhone 5 AT&T/Verizon" and you will immediately have an unlocked phone. Just make sure you swap the sim card out before plugging it to iTunes and your all set. I purchased a full retail price iPhone 5 AT&T recently and just replaced the installed sim card with my T-mobile and its functioning perfectly as intended. Even when I activate it through iTunes it won't lock up my phone or anything.

My parents and I purchased a total of 9 iPhone 5s of both white and black no contract AT&T models recently. There was no problems whatsoever when arriving at the Apple Store a few minutes of opening hours and just getting 2 per person. Also, we're planning to get more this weekend so I can get a perfect white iPhone without cosmetic damages, yellow tints, backlight bleeding, and other defects to calm my paranoid behavior.
You're buying so many I'd assume you're selling them.

Comment

JCCL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
If I may ask, how did you activate the phone? I know you bought it device only, but didn't you need to get past the ZIP code and last 4 digits of SS number screen to use the phone?
Only the ones that are tied to a contract ask for the SS number. Mine didn't ask, just activated automatically

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.