iPhone 5 fell in the bathtub :(

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Neebee, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Neebee, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012

Neebee macrumors 6502a

Yes, it was full of water. i quickly turned off the iphone. it was still running. i took out the nano sim. Now what? Is there anything I can do to get it replaced? I heard people being very lucky with the 4 and 4S, even having the device fall in a lake and get it replaced with minimal hassle.

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

That sounds like alot of water, the sensor will definitely turn color... Don't lie to the genius because it will be obvious.... I guess it all depends on the person you get... I would just say go in there, be nice and be honest and hope for the best. But I have to be honest with you, with that much water damage it's going to be tough.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Get ready to kick in $229 for a replacement.
    Next time try to keep it out of the tub.

4. Kiet1029 macrumors newbie

Yeah it really depends on who you get as a genius, I see that sometimes a female will get a better response from the genius than a male.

5. blaake macrumors regular

Leave it off for a while and put it in a bag of uncooked rice if you haven't. If you had a 4/ 4s i would say your chances were better but because of the high demand, your chances are probably pretty low :/

6. Neebee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, the iPhone is working. The pink dot is shown: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3302. It is now located in the SIM card slot. The battery seems to have taken a hit. It definitely is draining faster (maybe sucking the liquid)? I had the invisible shield type skin protector on which may have helped reduce the amount of water absorbtion.

I walked in today to the Apple store and I am not sure if I was given wrong info. I was told that I could pay the $229 for a replacement. I also could get the extended warranty for $50 at the time of purchase. I didnt see this on Apple's website covering "Out of Warranty Service - OOWS: http://support.apple.com/kb/index?p...tates&product=iphone&select=WARRANTY__PRICING

In the past, I heard of many many people being honest with Apple and they just gave them a new replacement device, no charge after they claimed it had water damage. I guess I have a hard time stomaching the above fees if people get something for free.

7. Davejprince macrumors regular

Do what they usually do.
    Screw it open & use rice to get the water out.
    If not, get a replacement for 229($€)