Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iliketech12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Hey guys,

I planning to get the sexy new iPhone 5 and made a idiot move in August. I signed up a 3 year contract with them. Bull crap move right? Anyways, I'm looking to get it LOCKED on Virgin Mobile, because the Wirelesswave guys said that they are not selling the full priced unlocked. Here's my question: The guys at the wirelesswave booth said that they will be able to unlock it in the future but if i bought it now, it would not be unlocked, so, IF I BUY THE PHONE NOW LOCKED, WILL I BE ABLE TO SAY THAT I BOUGHT IT FULL PRICE AND I WANT IT UNLOCKED FOR FREE?

EDIT: I mean when they can unlock it in the future, will I be able to say, I got the phone full price, and want it unlocked?

Thanks!

sfchky03

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
nope you cannot get it unlocked. you have to buy the phone directly from apple online store. not on the apple store or any retail store.

take note.
apple online store = unlock phone
apple store = contract locked phone. (they don't sell unlock phones in store)
retail store = locked phones to carrier.

Techs

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
Bell & virgin iphones can't be unlocked by the carriers. Best to buy on apple.ca

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.