Iphone 5 Ghost Armour leaves many gaps exposed.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Walshy, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Walshy macrumors member

Never used any GA until my iphone 5, however straight from getting this i went to the manchester arndale ghost amror store to get it applied.

Am home now and on inspection its to be honest a shoddy job which will require a case to stop my iphone from being scratched in certain places (kinda defeats the point?)

The ear speak has around half a cm to the left of the speaker open to the air.
    No GA material covering the lock button at all, same with sim slot (not even either side of those places.

And around any of the buttons the GA just stops instead of covering the sides.

TBH for £32.50 i expected a much more professional job. Maybe us folks get a better deal but here in the UK this is pathetic.

Will be taking it back to the kiosk tomorrow to make my complaints, but worried if they take it off before the 48hour drying period it will leave residue on the phone and damage it?

Be warned, anyone know of a better brand to go with?:mad:

2. SR71 macrumors 68000

You expected them to have miniscule cut-outs for the the lock/volume buttons? Of course they can't cover the sim slot. What if you have a problem and need a new SIM. Gotta remove that whole side. The half cm on the earpiece is because they can't make an exact fit, so they make it slightly wider so it's not difficult to install. Overall, it's very good protection. That's just how all those full body protectors works. You should have posted before-hand, I could've told you this as I get this on all my iPhone's.

3. Walshy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks i guess i shoulda know lol, o well! ill wait for it to dry by sunday so all the lumps and bumps are gone like she said and see where to go from there. Been toying with getting a gel bumper to go with it anyway!

4. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

Is arndale the only place they have an official kiosk to fit it? Can't find any details via Google.

5. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

pics?

does it cover the whole back or just the aluminum?

6. wc17 macrumors member

I had it installed on my phone today. It's 3 pieces for the back 2 small pieces for the glass and one big for the aluminum. I hope they update it and change to one piece cause I can see a lot if dust accumulating between those pieces...

7. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

8. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

so there is a piece for only the aluminum? sounds good to me. the white iphone glass pieces wont show much wear if any of time. think ill go this route.

any pics?

9. Aidy06 macrumors regular

Been looking into this myself, do you have any pictures of it fitted? Are they in the Arndale always? If so, whereabouts? How long did it take for them to fit? Thanks

10. wc17 macrumors member

I went back to the kiosk to get them to fix one of the pieces as it wasnt put on perfectly...thats one good thing about them...if they do it wrong or if it looks like crap after a day or 2, take the phone back and have them fix it for free.

Ill try to get some pics up...not sure how good theyll come out but ill try...

11. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

Mine looked ok except for the back. I thought it could've been covered better. There were several MM of space on both sides. The sides & front look ok, but the back is just "Eh."

12. wc17 macrumors member

Hope these came out ok. If you can see, there are gaps in the back. The rep at the kiosk said that if they only use one piece on the back it would bubble up over the seems...makes sense.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Aidy06 macrumors regular

How are you finding it after a few days? Thinking of getting it done over the weekend

14. karansaraf macrumors regular

I was thinking about getting this but looking at those pictures it looks like an imperfect fit.

Especially on the top panel on the back, the skin doesn't even extend all the way around the edges of the phone!

Are all GA like this?

----------

Also, whereabouts in Arndale is this place? Is it just a little kiosk in the middle of the walkway between the shops? Or is it an actual shop in the Arndale?

15. dk206 macrumors regular

I think they did a p1ss poor job of applying it to fit
    If you look at the bottom glass piece he/she stuck it wonky

16. wc17 macrumors member

HA! Good call! I had them reapply the top and bottom cause they didnt look good to me.

The front though...I was so used to the Spigen Crystal on my iPhone 4 that I cant get used to this one. I ordered the Spigen ultra thin air which includes a crystal protector so ill be good to go!

17. dk206 macrumors regular

Yeah I never like Matte sp on the front. SGP is the best in the world for these. Hope yoi enjoy your phone

18. Che Castro macrumors 603

I went back to have the back replaced

The case that I was using made the back peace turn black

Anyways this time they had the one piece back & I don't see any gaps

Maybe on the sides a little but is no problem 99.9% of the back is covered using the one piece back

19. Capacity38 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I've got ghost armor on my iphone 5. They did recently make the back one full piece instead of three. I have chipped my phone with the ghost armor on because I was too dumb and didn't put it in a bumper immediately. You do have to wait 72 hours for the shield to "cure" but I'd say it is worth it if you consider how much you'll spend on screen protectors anyways. At the end of the day, I think that keeping the screen from getting scratched is the most important thing.

Understand that if you do drop the phone, the corners are pretty much magnets to the floor as the phone naturally falls top or bottom side down and rarely lands flat on the back or front.

I also recommend the white iphone 5 to anyone since this anodized coating on my black one sucks and rubs off much too easily. Does it really matter? No, but for resale value I definitely have already knocked a good $50 bucks off because of my paint chip and edges' coating rubbing off a little here and there.

I do believe I am going to to back tomorrow and get the "screen friendly" front put on as my bumper kinda messes with the corners of the regular screen protector.

Good luck!

20. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

WOW that looks terrible.

21. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Dude, serious? Most of this is common sense or readily available info.
    The proximity sensor. It shouldn't be covered for optimal performance.

Too small a surface for quality adhesion.

Then a user would have no access.

Yes... it should. Mine does. It comes with the parts to go up next to and inbetween the buttons in the Full Coverage option. But what is really going to hit or rub there anyway.

[​IMG]

22. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Why didn't you get the SGP IncredibleShield and install it yourself in the first place? Those Ghost Armor protectors are all much too small to fit properly.

23. Bafflefish macrumors 6502

Does anyone have any pictures of the one-piece back they're now using? I had GA put on right after I got my phone but the guy who applied it partially covered the speaker and a little of the lens. I've been thinking about taking it back to have the top back piece re-applied but I might just go for the one-piece back if possible.

24. Che Castro macrumors 603

Go for the one piece , it's better

Don't leave without checking it

They wrap the phone in a paper towel,without letting you see it

25. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

In the US its $53.46 WITH the color carbon fiber. A terrible deal, I took it back 3 days later.

----------

how did you make the front black?