iPhone 5 glass cracked. Exploring my options.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mad3inch1na, Jul 24, 2014.

1. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Hi Everyone,

I cracked my iPhone 5 screen today. As I am planning on upgrading within the next few months anyways, it isn't that big a deal to me. I looked through a few pages of the forum but couldn't find any thread directly addressing my question, so apologies if I missed one. If there is a link to one, I would appreciate about as much as a direct answer.

Since I didn't damage the LCD or the digitizer, I was thinking about replacing the glass itself. I found a process that involves a heat gun, some heavy chemicals, plus a new glass unit. I have most of the supplies, so it would cost me about $30. It looks interesting, and if done correctly it will most likely provide me the best quality, as most 3rd party displays seem kind of sketchy.

Second, I could go the easy route and just buy a whole new 3rd party display unit. Like I mentioned before, I just don't want a faulty or low quality screen. Has anyone here done a repair with one of those, and if so, which one did you use and how has it turned out? I would be willing to pay up to $100 if it was high quality.

Any help is appreciated.

Best,
    Matt

2. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

3. mad3inch1na thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome, that is exactly what I was looking for! Has anyone here personally used this?

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

I replaced broken screen on iPhone 5 at the Apple Store few months ago for $149. Few hours after the replacement, vibration motor died, so Apple replaced the motor for free (since the motor was working prior to the service). Vibration motor died again the next day and Apple gave me a new refurbished iPhone 5 free of charge.

All this may be bit of a hassle and $149 is still $39 more expensive than $110. But to me, $39 is relatively a small price for all the extra things you get from Apple.

5. AxoNeuron, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

If he doesn't live near an Apple Store the repair cost is $269 if he sets it up on the phone. The Apple Store will ONLY repair the display for $149, anything else and it goes back up to $269.

It might be worth it for him to consider the $149 price, though. But Apple's repair costs are absolutely ridiculous. A lot of people move to Android after hearing the $269 repair cost, it's like a slap in the face.

6. mad3inch1na thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm yeah.. I do live near an Apple store. Sadly, I have to admit I broke my phone about a year and a half ago, where they charged me full price when I brought it into the store. I had square trade warranty at the time, so I didn't try to get the price down at all. I was assuming it would be the same price now..

7. hockeyman94 macrumors regular

Honestly, I would buy a display on ebay that is about $35-$50 and ask them to test the screen before shipment then install it. You won't know the difference unless its defective. If it is tell the seller and he'll give you a new one.